Wright State University

The Guardian

ArtsGala celebrates its fourteenth year

Archived+photo+of+annual+arts+gala+held+in+the+CAC.+
Archived photo of annual arts gala held in the CAC.

Kristina Thomas, Features Writer

Each year the arts departments work together to produce one of the biggest events at Wright State, the ArtsGala.

ArtsGala will take place in the Creative Arts Center on April 6, 6:30 p.m. to midnight. This event is open to the public.

online_ArtsGala2012ChristianConeLombarte04The ArtsGala displays talented students who study art, music, dance, film and theater. The event raised $1.4 million in the past years and gives students the chance to receive scholarships. The event allows sponsors and patrons in the community to enjoy entertainment and see what WSU has to offer.

“People who come to this event are constantly moving from room to room and experiencing different selections such as jazz and other music, the theater’s production of “Grand Hotel,” student film and the senior art work on display,” Chair of ArtsGala Jennifer Buckwalter said. “I really enjoy seeing so many students passionate about their work.”

“This event is really catered towards community members with tickets being $200, however students are still encouraged to support their fellow peers at the music concerts and theater shows throughout the year that are only $20,” Buckwalter said.

According to Buckwalter, 600 community members are expected to come and they expect to raise over $100,000. This event also features a silent auction with over 100 items, wine tasting and a sports lounge so community members can watch the NCAA basketball tournament.

The ArtsGala started in 2000 when the dean of the college of liberal arts came up with the idea to have all of the arts chairs work together to provide students with scholarships. Eventually the event gained momentum and corporate sponsors started to contribute.

Today, ArtsGala is a way for WSU to provide aid to the departments and the students who study these programs. ArtsGala attendants include businesses, sponsors, community members and potential WSU students.

online_ArtsGala2012ChristianConeLombarte03

“There is nothing like this in Dayton,” Buckwalter said. “This really is the premiere arts event. People can expect to have a really great time with a lot of high energy. It’s a chance to dress up, see your friends and enjoy yourself, and, most important, it’s for a great cause.”

According to Buckwalter, ArtsGala is a yearlong project. Unlike other art events, the ArtsGala allows patrons to comment and feedback to students at the end of the night.

“I really enjoy seeing so many people passionate about their work. These students work so hard and are still having fun,” Buckwalter said. “What makes this event so fantastic is that not one room is the same, so people get a taste of dance, art, film and theater.”

For more information about ArtsGala contact Jennifer Buckwalter at [email protected]

• ArtsGala celebrates its fourteenth year

Blog

Tips to conquer your 8 a.m. class this semester

Arts & Entertainment

“The Dark Tower” movie review

News

President Schrader excited to welcome students back to campus

News

What you need to know about college’s most common STI

News

Office of Student Activities to reorganize

Dayton's Not Dead

Dayton’s Not Dead: Duck Donuts

Wright Life

Five unique self-care tips for a healthy mind

News

WSU Swimming and Diving program reaches $85,000 Goal

Arts & Entertainment

Activities to check out in the Dayton area this summer

News

Swimming and diving team community band together to save program

Wright State University
ArtsGala celebrates its fourteenth year