Wright State University

The Guardian

“The Dark Tower” movie review

Kelsey Powell, Contributing Writer

The “Dark Tower” is the new action, adventure, fantasy, thriller based on the best-selling novel by Stephen King. This movie wasn’t what I expected in the least.

“The last Gunslinger, Roland Deschain, has been locked in an eternal battle with Walter O’Dim, also known as the Man in Black, determined to prevent him from toppling the Dark Tower, which holds the universe together,” IMBb says. “With the fate of the worlds at stake, good and evil will collide in the ultimate battle as only Roland can defend the tower from the Man in Black.”

That explanation being given, it’s a little hard to understand, but there is an interesting concept there.

That’s why I went to see it. The concept, the star-studded cast and the action previews totally captured my attention.

Much to my dismay though, I was disappointed. The movie was not what I wanted it to be.

The way they went about the concept was rushed, and the story line missed some explanation of the little boy in the movie who was really the main character played by Tom Taylor.

The action in the movie was mediocre. I didn’t hate it, but it wasn’t my favorite. I liked some of the action parts that Roland played by Idris Elba was involved in.

The ending was very simple and predictable. I mean, I really thought a scene where they killed the bad guy would be more intense.

I thought it would be harder for Roland to kill the Man in Black played by Matthew McConaughey, and when it happened, it was just anticlimactic.

Plus, I know they were going to kill him, it was easy to predict. I didn’t know how they would do it, but it was bound to happen.

The only remotely good thing about this movie was that the cinematic scenery was nice, it showed the universe from their point of view.

The landscape and the way they portrayed the Dark Tower was actually not hateful.

The point is, with a name like Stephen King behind it, I expected much more; but I would not recommend this movie for anyone.

I would go as far to say don’t waste your money at Redbox either to see on DVD.

• “The Dark Tower” movie review

Arts & Entertainment

Activities to check out in the Dayton area this summer

• “The Dark Tower” movie review

Arts & Entertainment

Harry Potter prequel in the works

• “The Dark Tower” movie review

Arts & Entertainment

“Girlboss” review

• “The Dark Tower” movie review

Arts & Entertainment

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” movie review

• “The Dark Tower” movie review

Arts & Entertainment

“Snatched” movie review

• “The Dark Tower” movie review

Arts & Entertainment

Hit or Miss: Where to eat on campus

• “The Dark Tower” movie review

Arts & Entertainment

Eight apps all college students should be using

• “The Dark Tower” movie review

Arts & Entertainment

Here’s the best way to get involved on campus

• “The Dark Tower” movie review

Arts & Entertainment

18th annual Arts Gala promotes creativity, collaboration and the power of the arts

• “The Dark Tower” movie review

Arts & Entertainment

Music Review: listen to raw, narrative music on Mount Eerie’s “A Crow Looked at Me”

Wright State University
“The Dark Tower” movie review