Wright State University

The Guardian

Greg Lovelady collected his 100th win as baseball won the Nuxhall Classic

Jesse Schrote, Sports Writer

Wright State head coach Greg Lovelady won his 100th career game and for the second consecutive year, the Raiders baseball team has emerged victorious, to claim the Nuxhall Classic title on Tuesday, April 13.

“I didn’t know about it, my wife made me aware of it a couple days prior,” Lovelady said about his 100th win. “I told myself it’s going to be pretty cool and I want to keep the ball, then I totally forgot about it.”

“It’s exciting, it really is a testament to my assistants doing such a good job, and the players,” Lovelady said. “We’re excited for the next hundred.”

Tuesday began day one of the two-day Nuxhall Classic at the campus of Miami University, the Wright State baseball team beat the University of Cincinnati Bearcats for the second time this season, 6-1.

WSU joined UC, MU, and Xavier University in the annual playing of this event, with the Redhawks of Miami playing the Musketeers of Xavier on day one. The second day of the classic will put the two winning teams versus each other and likewise with the losing teams.

Junior Robby Sexton pitched seven innings of scoreless baseball allowing only one hit improving his record to 3-2, with relievers coming in to finish up the game, not allowing any hits.

“Robby’s been really good all year,” Lovelady said. “He just competed like crazy and when you’re able to do that, just go out there and throw strikes it’s amazing what you can do.”

With the bases loaded in the bottom of the second inning, junior Mitch Roman hit a double down the left field line to clear the bases for three RBI’s. He later grounded out to second base in the eighth inning to drive in another run, making it four RBI’s on the day.

Miami edged out Xavier to set-up a day two pairing with the Raiders, and a contest between Cincinnati cross-town rivals UC and XU.

Day two began with Xavier scoring four runs in the bottom of the sixth inning, adding one in the seventh, and one in the eighth to beat Cincinnati 8-5.

In the second contest of the day, the Raiders scored four runs in the top of the eighth inning to blank the Redhawks.

Junior Daniel Arthur doubled down the left field line to plate the two runs, giving him two of the teams four RBI’s. Junior Trevor Swaney pitched eight scoreless innings, allowing only two hits and improved his record to 5-1 on the season.

“His (Swaney) last two or three starts have been just unbelievable,” Lovelady said. “It was probably the best start we’ve had all year and I know that’s tough to think with the perfect game and everything.”

“You can’t let results dictate how you pitch,” Lovelady said. “Trevor’s execution last night was near perfect.”

Wright State (22-10; Horizon 8-3) will take on Toledo (7-25-1: MAC 3-6) this Friday, April 15 at Nischwitz Stadium. They will play a three-game series with the Rockets, with two being played at WSU and the final being played at UT on Sunday. First pitch on Friday will be at 6:30 p.m.

• Greg Lovelady collected his 100th win as baseball won the Nuxhall Classic

Baseball

WSU Baseball take two wins

Baseball

WSU Baseball tops #10 Clemson

Baseball

MLB end of year Awards

Baseball

Cubs End longest World Series Drought

Baseball

Big Bucks being spent on World Series Tickets

Baseball

Cleveland Still Believing after taking 2-0 Series Lead

Baseball

Dragons outfielder plays for the love of the game           

Baseball

Raider Spotlight: John Brodner is an integral part of the team

Baseball

Baseball wins series against Northern Kentucky

Baseball

Baseball wins double-header against Eastern Michigan

Wright State University