Weight gain is a major cause for concern with the current generation. Owing to a hectic lifestyle, most people are unable to dedicate time for any form of physical activity leading to uncontrolled weight gain and related health issues. Where on one side hunger pangs and cravings need to be dealt with, on the other side the calories and fat deposits are creating havoc in ways more than one. As a result, people resort to quick-fix methods to lose those extra pounds. This is where medicines like clenbuterol come into the picture. This article covers clenbuterol, what is the safe dosage to be taken, and its side effects.
What Is Clenbuterol?
Clenbuterol Hydrochloride or clenbuterol or ‘clen’ are all monikers given to the same steroid-like drug which was initially used for treating asthma in some animals, especially horses. It comes in syrup, capsule, powder, inhaler, spray pen, injection, and gel forms. The body absorbs this drug rapidly, almost within 20 minutes of ingestion with a bioavailability of about 83 percent. A large percentage of the drug stays within the liver, the lungs, and the left ventricles. Owing to its de-congesting and bronchodilator properties, over time it became popular and safe for usage among humans as well; to treat asthma, to decongest the nasal cavity, and as a blood thinner to lower high blood pressure.
However, recent times have seen a surge of this drug being popular among bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts. Celebrities refer to it as the size-zero pill. The reason behind this being that clenbuterol works as a stimulant assisting in increased metabolic activities, as well as promotes fat burning. It also aids in building muscle mass as it improves the process of muscle protein synthesis. The effect it has on our body is similar to amphetamines and epinephrine which stimulates both the central nervous system as well as the heart at once. Since it aids in rapid fat loss it is banned in some countries owing to unpleasant and some dangerous side effects. But when used in moderation following the right dosage it is safe for use. Those with hypertension, heart diseases, and pregnant women should avoid taking this medicine.
Benefits of clenbuterol include:
- Improved breathing in asthma patients.
- Helps clear the nasal cavities.
- Helps clear congestion.
- Improves metabolic activities.
- Aids in burning fat.
- Boosts energy levels.
The liquid form of Clenbuterol is considered safe for animal use as it is approved by the FDA. For human beings, the tablet form is considered safest. The dosage of this drug depends on factors like gender and tolerance level of each person depending on the need for which it is being consumed. A first-time user should not consume more than 40 mcg per day and gradually increase to 2 tablets depending on tolerance level, not exceeding 140 mcg. The general allowance for men is 60 – 140 mcg and for women 40 – 120 mcg per day.
Per-day allowance of the consumption of this drug is 1 or 2 tablets once a day. When being taken as a dietary supplement it is best to ingest the pill in the morning before consuming food or water. The drug is generally ingested on periodic cycles as the 2-week cycle, the 4-week cycle and the 16-week cycle, and they best suit athletes, bodybuilders, and fitness enthusiasts. For asthma, the inhaler is a safer bet or it can be consumed as a tablet as well. The recommended dose is .02 – .03 mg per day, to be used only when needed.
Various clenbuterol cycles to follow for weight loss include:
- 2 days on and off-cycle – this cycle is good for those intending a long-term consumption of the pill, for up to 2 months or longer and involves fewer hormone fluctuations as well as related risks. This method calls for 2 days of a high dose of clenbuterol followed by 2 days where you don’t take the tablet at all.
- 2 weeks on 2 weeks off – this method is considered most popular among athletes, fitness enthusiasts, and bodybuilders. For beginners, minimal dosage of 20mcg-40mcg is recommended followed by a gradual increase after 3 days of consumption of the pill. By the end of 2 weeks dosage of up to 140 mcg is allowed. Then for the next 2 weeks completely refrain from taking the medicine as the dosage taken in the first 2 weeks is sufficient to last for up to 4 weeks. Repeat the cycle if needed.
- Gradual Incremental Cycle – this method, as the name suggests, calls for a gradual increase in dosage after every 2nd week not exceeding 140 mcg. It is apt for those looking for a steady and stable weight loss plan. Start with 20 mcg and then double the dosage every 2nd week.
Clenbuterol And Weight Loss
It is interesting to know that clenbuterol falls in the category of beta-2 adrenergic drugs which means that even when the person is in a state of rest it aids in fat loss. This is why this drug has become popular among those looking to lose weight without sweating it out in the gym or the outdoors. When a person ingests clenbuterol it remains in the system for up to 6 days where it stays active in fat burning and subsequent weight loss. Apart from this, it performs the following:
- Increases the blood pressure of the person.
- increases the heart rate.
- increases the oxygen transportation throughout the body.
- Enhances glycogen absorption ability of the body
- Enhances endurance thereby leading to quick fat loss.
- Adds muscle mass.
- Adipose tissue production in the body is cut down further assisting in fat loss.
Research has shown that regardless of whether the person exercises or not, clenbuterol ingestion does lead to weight loss. And over a period of time, those that are regularly exercising showed more fat loss in comparison to those that didn’t. But despite miraculous results attained within a short period, one must not go overboard with the usage of this drug, and neither must they ignore the side-effects. Weight-loss garnered in such a short span may not give consistent results for long.
One must not overlook the side-effects that may arise owing to long-term usage of any drug. Apart from rapid weight loss, some other side-effects of clenbuterol are:
- It adversely affects heart health.
- It has a bad effect on the nerves
- It increases body temperature
- Induces anxiety
- Leads to palpitation
- Causes nausea and dizziness in some people
- This leads to high blood pressure in some people
- Rapid weight loss results are short-lived
- Can cause excessive perspiration
- causes intense headaches
We should always remember that any short-cut method opted for in life may not always deem the best of results. Be it for weight loss or to improve one’s performance endurance, it is always advised to go for a healthier option and make necessary lifestyle changes. Always consult a doctor before deciding to ingest any health-supplement or drug to avoid complications later on. Inform the doctor if you are pregnant, are nursing or you have any underlying health conditions and allow the doctor to decide if a particular drug is suitable for you or not. As far as clenbuterol is concerned, if taken in moderation by following strict dosage instructions one may attain the desired weight-loss goal but best to refrain from making a habit out of it and resort to healthier, safer options.