The body always needs regular intake components like Vitamins, proteins, and minerals to work correctly. Each part of the body requires essential compounds of its own for its designated functioning. Calcium is one of the necessary minerals for the human body. Calcium helps to build and maintain bones in the human body. Besides, Calcium helps in the adequate functioning of the body’s heart muscles and nerves, needless to say, its role in strengthening the formation of bones and teeth. Along with that, Calcium helps in clotting blood, which is necessary for healing wounds.
And Vitamin D is a fat-soluble Vitamin needed to regulate calcium absorption and phosphate into the body. And these are usually stored in body fat tissues. This mainly responsible for keeping the bones, teeth, and muscles healthy.
Usually, such minerals and Vitamin s don’t produce on their own by the body. The human body needs them for the prevention of cancer, hypertension, and diabetes to some point. Both calcium and Vitamin D works together for the healthy functioning of bones, muscles, cells, and nerves.
Vitamin D and calcium supplements
Vitamin D and Calcium do not have the source from the human body and need to be taken from outside sources. Vitamin D and calcium supplements are one of the options for taking Vitamin D and Calcium. The recommended amount of intake of Calcium on daily basis changes with age to age like for men’s age 70 and below needs 1000 milligrams daily, and older men’s need 1200 milligrams, women’s age 50 and younger needs 1000 milligrams of Calcium daily, and about age group need to take 1200 milligrams. And Vitamin D is what and has it is responsible for the absorption of Calcium into the body. Adults below 50 need 400-800 IU (international units) of Vitamin D daily, and older ones need 800-1000 IU daily.
Calcium and Vitamin D supplements are like pills that can be an artificial source for Calcium and Vitamin D. These supplements formulation takes place chemically. These supplements play an important role when a person couldn’t consume Calcium or Vitamin D from typical sources like food properly.
Calcium and Vitamin D supplements are available with recommended amounts in them based on the requirements. The amount of calcium or Vitamin D needed for a person depends on their age group, gender, the amount they can consume through food, and the amount required through supplements.
It needs to be consumed accordingly for a healthy body, which requires a healthy body structure. Almost 99.5% of the Calcium in the body stays in the form of bones and teeth. Consuming and regulating is also essential for proper functioning. Usually, the body produces Vitamin D when exposed to sunlight, as sunlight is the primary source. Sometimes it might be risky to expose oneself to sunlight for Vitamin D; in such cases taking food or supplements which contain Vitamin D is preferable.
Need for calcium and Vitamin D supplements
There is always a need for consumption of Vitamins and minerals to enhance the bodily functions at some point like when people ages, some Vitamin, and minerals are hard to consume or produced by the body. Supplements act as a supporting material supply to enhance the nutrient density of the diet. Health supplements are like adding up the remaining required supply of minerals through pills.
So people need calcium and Vitamin D supplements at some point where they can’t consume them through food, and some people who can’t consume food that are sources of calcium or Vitamin D can use these supplements.
Calcium and Vitamin D are essential compounds for the body, and there are different benefits to consuming them. The need for consuming calcium and Vitamin D supplements are
- The body needs Calcium to form and strengthens bones and teeth.
- Vitamin D helps in the absorption of Calcium so that body can use it later.
- Vitamin D also regulates Calcium in the body.
- Both calcium and Vitamin D is essential for healthy bone structure.
- These two protect the body from cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, and other health problems.
- Regular Calcium and Vitamin D intake are essential to strengthen the bones so that they wouldn’t fracture easily.
- Calcium helps in situations blood clotting by enabling it, mainly during healing wounds.
- Calcium also enables the heart to beat and plays an essential role in muscle movements.
- Calcium promotes the proper functioning of the heart, muscles, and nerves.
- It also reduces the risk of osteoporosis
- Some studies show that calcium intake can control weight. And also, Vitamin D aids for weight loss
- Vitamin D helps fight against diseases and lowers the risks of multiple sclerosis, heart disease, and flu.
- Vitamin D can also help people with depression by regulating mood and treat and prevent depression.
- It also supports the body to have a healthy immune system and nervous system.
- Vitamin D aids in the proper functioning of lungs and cardiovascular health.
- Helpful in a healthy pregnancy for women.
Usually, some side effects of these vitamins and minerals are below the required level or above the recommended level.
Deficiency of such Vitamins and minerals can cause changes in overall bodily functions. Calcium deficiency, where the body doesn’t contain the required amount of Calcium for its functioning, can be lead to problems like
- Muscle problems or aches
- Dental problems
- Easy fracturing of bones
- Risk of developing osteoporosis
- Fatigue along with problems like insomnia
- Weak and brittle nails
And deficiency of Vitamin D also causes symptoms such as
- Bone and back pain
- Slow healing of wounds
- Muscle pains
- Cardiovascular problems
- Regular sickness or infections
- Neurological diseases
- Deficiency of Calcium
- Can leads to certain cancers
As mentioned above, overdoses of such compounds can also put the body at risk. In excess calcium consumption lead to problems like
- Weakening of bones
- Stones in kidney
- Interference in heart and brain connections
- Headache and fatigue
- Muscle problems
An overdosage of Vitamin D also leads to common symptoms like dry mouth, loss of appetite, diarrhea, vomiting, etc.
The body always supplies its nutrients and Vitamins to work accordingly, but it can lead to a problem if more than enough or less than enough. As mentioned above, calcium and Vitamin D supplements are available in the market, and choosing health supplements is also essential because there are many sources for such supplements. Some of the things one should keep in mind decided to take supplements are
You should know how much should be taken regularly and calculate how much is consumed through food and how much is needed as a supplement.
- Choose a reliable brand name for the supplements which has proven their quality.
- Before choosing, always read the product label carefully.
- When it’s the first time, always go with fewer amounts so that body can adapt to the changes.
- Make proper research on it and consult experts to get a better understanding of it.
- Take these supplements along with food, is the best and suggestible option when consuming them.
If a person consumes food containing the required amount of minerals and Vitamins, it doesn’t need supplements because they can have enough food. But with nowadays daily life it may be hard for people to have enough food. In such cases, taking supplements is the best option. Calcium and Vitamin D are essential compounds essential for the body’s daily functioning and keeping it healthy.
Calcium is the primary source for bone strengthening. Maintaining healthy bones and muscles means keeping a strong body; checking whether the body is getting enough Calcium and Vitamin D regularly is required. Before deciding to use calcium and Vitamin D tablets or supplements, it is advisable to consult medical experts or doctors because overconsumption can lead to health problems.
Not everyone can have enough natural sources for calcium and Vitamin D. If a person thinks they do not have Calcium or Vitamin D, they should consult the doctor or go for check-ups before consuming its supplements.
The side effects of deficiency and overdose of Calcium, Vitamin D are mentioned above. It can help in knowing whether a person is having issues with Calcium for Vitamin D problems. The need for nutrients to enable the body organs to work requires a regular supply to function accordingly. Otherwise, issues such as health issues start appearing.