Ever questioned, “How to keep yourself healthy?” The most straightforward answer is to eat healthy food. However, this doesn’t work every time. Sometimes, your body doesn’t behave according to your expectations even when you do every right thing. For instance, there are around 90% of men over the age of 80 sufferings with the condition of prostate enlargement. Even men of above 40 years of age also go thorough prostate enlargement, but it is in a minimal amount. In this article, the only motive is to help readers and guiding them in managing prostate enlargement.
It is very irritating when a man has to visit the bathroom repeatedly during the night time. Also, men with an enlarged prostate have to face challenging problems like dribbling, weakening of urine stream, frequent need to urinate, and so on.
What is Prostate Enlargement?
Prostate enlargement is also known as Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). It is a condition when men’s prostate gland grows more substantial than usual. This gland of the male reproductive system produces fluid that contains sperm during ejaculation. It occurs to almost every man. The real cause behind the occurrence of this condition is unknown.
Aging or changes in the cells of the testicles can be considered as the possible cause of the increase in the prostate gland’s size. According to data, more than 105 million men around the world are suffering from BPH. It can even result in lower urinary tract symptoms. Age, ethnicity, and family history, all have a direct impact on the prostate and can make it bigger.
Symptoms of Prostate Enlargement
If you are facing trouble in urination or feeling to urinate quite often, then it is the time to go for a doctor check-up. Moreover, it is essential to know every symptom related to prostate enlargement. Maybe, if you have the same disease, getting a little knowledge can save your life. Sometimes, BPH can even cause death. Symptoms are beneficial in understanding the type of illness one has. If you observe any sign in your body, then kindly consult a doctor. Some of the symptoms of Prostate Enlargement “Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia” include-
- The weakening of the urinary system is the first sign of prostate enlargement problem
- Urge to pee frequently mostly in the night time
- No control on the leakage of urine even during working
- The flow of urine in a minimal amount
- Even after going to pee multiple times, it feels like your bladder is full
- Painful ejaculation and urination
How it occurs?
To prevent the symptoms of BPH, you require working on some lifestyle changes. Prostate enlargement happens after the multiplication of prostate cells that put pressure on the urethra from where the semen and urine exit. This gland is controlled by the sex hormone in our body, which transforms into another hormone called “Dihydrotestosterone”. It is one of the reasons for prostate gland enlargement. Some changes in diets can help avoid BPH and keep prostate healthy.
As per studies, they are eating a low-fat diet can be a great help for a healthier prostate. Men must spend time in physical activities to avoid future problems related to prostate enlargement. Vitamin C and Zinc play a significant role in the prevention of prostate enlargement. Adding them to your daily meal will block the development of an enlarged prostate.
In the studies from China, it is suggested that the protein is an essential element that may develop BPH. However, some call it an age-related problem. From the Misrepair-accumulation aging theory, it was suggested that BPH could be developed because of fibrosis and the weakening of the muscular tissue of the prostate.
Recommended Supplement for Prostate Enlargement
Foods to eat for a healthier prostate
It becomes easier to cope with prostate enlargement when you take the right combination of food. Some of the food that you must focus on eating are-
- Salmon: An increase in a healthy fat like omega-three intakes along with regular exercise, can decrease the chances of weight gain and obesity. It will affect your prostate health directly. Salmon contains omega 3 in a large amount, so it can help in reducing inflammation in the body. Sardines and trout also contain these kinds of healthy fat.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes can regulate the growth of BPH with the help of lycopene presence. Lycopene is an antioxidant that is valuable for the prostate gland cells. If you want to get benefit from eating it, cook tomato soup for the natural intake of lycopene in your body. Cooking tomatoes in virgin olive oil make the lycopene readily available.
- Berries: Antioxidants neutralize and have the potential to remove radicals from your body. Berries such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are the best source of antioxidants. Free radicals can make you ill, as these are the results of some reactions in your body.
- Green Tea: Green tea includes polyphenols and flavonoids that are perfectly fine for your prostate. It has anti-cancer properties and supports the prevention of prostate cancer. The presence of Catechins in green tea promotes the standard size of the prostate.
- Broccoli: Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower sprouts are rich in sulforaphane chemicals. This chemical has a positive effect on cancer cells and ensures a healthy prostate.
- Nuts: Zinc is an essential component found in nuts. Are rich in zinc. In the prostate, its concentration is quite high. Moreover, Zinc assists in balancing the level of testosterone and DHT. Other foods that are rich in zinc are shellfish, legumes, sesame seeds, and so on.
- Citrus: Citrus protects the prostate gland from many issues. Fruits like orange and lemon contain a high proportion of Vitamin C, so it is beneficial for your prostate health.
- Onions and garlic: It is observed that Men with BPH and it must not be avoided, garlic and onions. They must start increasing the intake of both this food.
- Avocados: Avocado compromise beta-sitosterol that has the potential to improve the flow of urine and its volume.
- Soy products: By eating soy products, one can decrease the risk of prostate enlargement because soy products have Isoflavones. Some studies have found that it works as a remedy for enlarged prostate.
- Red Peppers: Lycopene is also found in red peppers that deliver it a crimson color. To get the benefit out of red pepper, eating them in both cooked and raw is right for you. It has Vitamin C too, but it gets destroyed because of heat.
Foods to Avoid
Eating good food isn’t ample for your prostate. Every man must understand his responsibility of taking care of his prostate’s health. You can avoid some foods that are harmful to the prostate. Some foods that you need to avoid include:
- Red meat: Red meat ruins the health of the prostate by increasing your weight and making you obese. Try to ignore red meat and start focusing on eating healthy fruits and vegetables. If you are a daily consumer of red meat, it may surge prostate size without letting you know.
- Dairy: Apart from meat, dairy products harm the prostate leading to BPH. If possible, try to avoid dairy products like milk, butter, cheese, curd, etc.
- Caffeine: you can control BPH symptoms if you can cut caffeine intake. It works as a diuretic which means that it will force you to go bathroom often than usual.
- Alcohol: Alcohol can induce urine production. Men with BPH reported that their symptoms reduced by giving up alcohol.
- Sodium: Salt lovers are requested to drop the intake of high salt and make sure to follow a diet with a low amount of salt. Moreover, you have to stay away from processed food items.
- Spicy and Acidic: Spicy and acidic food can irritate the bladder and prostate. Don’t try to add them to your meal. Otherwise, it can create a significant problem for you.
Change in eating pattern
Bringing a change in your eating pattern is necessary in today’s world. Almost every one of us gets bored of eating the same thing daily. Read what experts believe to be helpful for your prostate.
- Make sure to get not less than five servings of healthy fruits and vegetables daily. Leafy greens are much better if you want a rapid decrease in weight and expecting a healthy prostate.
- Always prefer whole grain bread and whole-grain pasta instead of white bread and cereals.
- Reduce your red meat consumption first. Beef, pork, lamb, and every other processed meat because in any manner, it’s dangerous for your health. They all lead to obesity. Fish and eggs are a better way to get protein.
- Fats are not always harmful. Existence of healthy fats like olive oil, almonds, avocados, are an excellent choice to make.
- Dairy products are rich with saturated fats. You must avoid it altogether. Moreover, trans fat is also essential to avoid that are found in fast and packaged foods.
- Excess sugar in your body is neither healthful nor for the prostate. Don’t drink sugar-sweetened drinks. However, you can choose to eat sweets when you want.
- Eat food having a low level of sodium concentration. For this, you can find the salt concentration info in the food labels. Stop eating salty food items.
- Never eat when you are feeling full. Eat only when you are feeling hungry.
Extra tips to keep prostate healthy
When eating a healthy diet will not be combined with proper exercise, it will be useless. Indulge yourself in some physical activities and do regular exercise. It will save you from life-threatening diseases, including prostate enlargement too.
- There is an antagonistic relationship between physical activity and BPH symptoms according to some researchers. Any physical activity is beneficial for a healthier prostate, even walking or running only.
- Men who exercise regularly have a little chance of suffering from erectile dysfunction. Obese men are prone to prostate enlargement and erectile dysfunction so it is recommended to follow a proper diet along with daily exercise.
- Whatever you want to drink, make sure to avoid it in the evening. You can drink anything before 2 hours of going to bed.
- If dribbling is more than in drops, start to use absorbent pads or pants to soak leakage of urine. In some cases, a man has to use a removable catheter.
- Urinating in voiding position impacts urine flow rate, and other urodynamic parameters. For an elderly male having a lower urinary tract symptom, voiding in the sitting position is the perfect option.
The growing issue of BPH has created new possibilities for diseases. It is becoming imperative for every man to improvise lifestyle and adapt to the changing diet plan. Nobody wants to go through the prostate enlargement surgery or take medications to cure it. It is better to take specific steps today to avoid any future prostate problems. Follow a balanced and healthy diet if you don’t want to suffer from prostate enlargement.