Imagine being at an office party or a family gathering and all one can think of is the burning sensation around one’s vaginal region disrupting one’s peace of mind! The scenario would seem worse when one’s partner is in the mood for love-making and some cuddles but an itching, irritated vagina would want anything but those fondles just then. Among the few things which sometimes threaten to hinder the peace and happiness of womanhood is a vaginal yeast infection. Not to mention the silent discomfort and distress it causes, and when not treated at the right time, it may lead to the worsening of one’s woes.
What Is Yeast Infection?
Vaginal hygiene and care should be prioritized at all times and if it calls for the purchase of certain brands and products catering to such needs of the womenfolk, then one must not think twice before spending a few worthy bucks for the same. Being a fungal infection, the vaginal infection causes itchiness and redness of the vagina and vulva. It can also cause extreme itchiness in some cases, discharge and overall discomfort. Scientifically or medically it is termed as Vaginal Candidiasis. Vaginal yeast infection isn’t a sexually transmitted disease, as it is sometimes mistaken to be as such but there is an increase in the risk of Vaginal Candidiasis when an individual initially gets sexually active. Also, on the onset of an increased number of vaginal yeast infections per year then one must resort to a longer treatment plan. Home remedies also help to keep vaginal yeast infections at bay and most of the time these are simple, easy to access treatment methods.
What Are The Symptoms of A Yeast Infection?
Just as with any illness that comes seeking us, vaginal yeast infection also comes with tell-tale signs which in most cases are a sure-shot indication of the same. These symptoms could be mild or moderate in nature. Either way, prompt care, and treatment should be meted out to the one suffering. Some of the common symptoms of vaginal yeast infection are as follows:
- A burning sensation in the vaginal region especially during sexual intercourse
- A burning sensation while urinating.
- Pain in the vagina.
- Reddish rashes and irritated skin in the vaginal area.
- Excessive itching.
- Watery discharge.
- Odorless discharge with a cottage-cheese appearance which is thick and white in color.
If someone is suffering from the below symptoms then extra care, precaution, and immediate treatment methods should be opted for as it could mean the infection is comparatively more complicated:
- Excessive redness, uncontrolled itchiness, swelling and vaginal injuries owing to itching.
- Repeated vaginal yeast infections throughout the year.
- The lady in question is pregnant.
- The lady in question is highly diabetic.
- The infection is caused owing to a different type of fungus.
- A weakened immune system.
If anyone suspects that they have one, more or all of the above symptoms then one must immediately book an appointment with their trusted Gynecologist and go for their preferred treatment plan. The sooner one seeks help with vaginal yeast infection the better.
What Causes Yeast Infection?
The human body naturally contains yeast in the vaginal region and it resides alongside good bacteria called lactobacilli in a balanced manner. These bacteria are responsible for vaginal health and kill harmful bacteria whenever they appear. But certain times the balance can be disturbed due to external or internal reasons and this results in the increase in growth of the fungus called candida, leading to vaginal yeast infection. It is estimated that over 75% of women in their lifetimes fall prey to yeast infection at least once. It is one of the most common causes of discomfort in women regardless of their age. It is definitely a health issue that can be treated but when left neglected can lead to unpleasant experiences.
Some of the most common causes of vaginal yeast infection are as below:
- Hormonal imbalance can lead to a yeast infection in ladies which has an increased chance during pregnancy, breastfeeding, and menopause.
- Consumption of birth control pills can affect vaginal balance and lead to a yeast infection.
- Consumption of antibiotics can lead to a yeast infection as they sometimes kill the good bacteria that maintain vaginal health.
- Uncontrolled diabetes and poor diabetic management can lead to an increase in sugar along the mucous membranes of the vagina. This leads to an increased growth in yeast thus leading to a yeast infection.
- The usage of vaginal spray can also sometimes cause a yeast infection.
- Sometimes sexual intercourse can lead to yeast infection.
- People suffering from diseases like HIV who have a weak immune system can also fall prey to vaginal yeast infection.
Coconut Oil To Manage A Yeast Infection
Most yeast infections can be managed and cured using over-the-counter medicines and ointments. The time period for a cure may vary between a day to a week depending on the intensity of the infection. Doctors may also prescribe antifungal medicines as well as suppositories. One should also inform the doctor if they are pregnant so as to avoid further complications through oral medications. In such cases, doctors mostly prescribe only anti-fungal ointments and creams.
Otherwise, the best way to treat a yeast infection is by resorting to home remedies. Some common home remedies to treat yeast infections are the usage of boric acid (1), greek yogurt (2), oregano essential oil, garlic, tea tree oil, vitamin c, etc. Most home remedies give satisfactory results when used at the right time and when treatment isn’t delayed. Positive results show from 1 day to within a week’s time.
Coconut Oil is also known to cure discomfort caused due to vaginal yeast infection. Recent studies have found that apart from having several health benefits like aiding in digestion, helping control blood sugar levels, enhancing liver-health, helping in fighting Alzheimer’s, etc, coconut oil can also be used to treat vaginal yeast infections. This miracle oil is extracted from the fruit of the coconut tree. Its antibacterial property is what makes it most effective in the treatment of yeast infections. Coconut oil also boasts off as a miracle oil having no side-effects. In studies conducted it was found that by using a minimal amount of coconut oil one could get rid of yeast infections better as compared to the common antifungal medicine fluconazole (3).
For the best results, it is highly recommended to use organic or pure coconut oil. In order to treat an infection, simply rub the organic coconut oil onto the affected area gently and leave it as such. Make sure the nails are trimmed so as to avoid any injury owing to the same. Some health experts have also suggested that coconut oil can be rubbed onto a tampon which can then be inserted into the vagina. In any case, it is always best to consult a doctor before resorting to any home remedy so as to avoid any unpleasant occurrences. Pregnant women should take extra precautions while resorting to home remedies.
The eBook ‘Yeast Infection No More’ authored by Linda Allen is another treatment program to watch out for if one is looking to treat a yeast infection. If one wants to opt for an unconventional yet effective treatment method then it is recommended to get one’s soft-copy of the same through the company’s official website. It guides and assists the reader on how to treat yeast infections quickly and permanently.
How To Manage A Yeast Infection?
Although yeast infections are common in women and cannot be completely avoided, one can always control the same by following certain simple precautions as mentioned below:
- Follow perfect vaginal hygiene. Always keep the vaginal area clean and dry. Wash as often as possible using mild soap or vaginal wash and pat dry before wearing the underwear.
- Make sure to use underwear made out of natural fiber like cotton. Cotton keeps out heat and moisture as compared to synthetic fiber and helps keep the vaginal area dry.
- Avoid using tight clothing around the vaginal region like pants, leggings, yoga pants, pantyhose, etc. that causes the body temperature in the private parts to increase which in e turn can lead to yeast infections.
- Don’t use harsh feminine products like Douche which can disrupt the bacterial balance in the vaginal region and thereby end up causing vaginal yeast infections.
- Avoid continuous and regular usage of products like bubble baths, bath soaps, vaginal sprays, pads, tampons, etc which can lead to disruption of the bacterial-yeast balance in the vaginal region.
- Avoid extra hot baths.
- Change wet clothes immediately after a gym or swimming session. Wetness around the vaginal region for long time periods is never considered a healthy practice.
- Always wipe front to back after washing the vaginal region.
- Make sure your sugar levels are controlled and diabetes is properly managed.
- During periods maintain vaginal hygiene and change the pads/tampons as often as possible.
- Never consider excessive consumption of antibiotics as a healthy practice. One must resort to this type of medication only if it ultimately calls for it.
- Order online one’s copy of the eBook Yeast Infection No More in order to garner relevant information on how to prevent, treat and control occurrences of vaginal yeast infection.
From all the information shared above, it is evident that yeast infection is very common among the women folk but it can always be avoided, controlled and treated. Resorting to home remedies like the usage of coconut oil should be considered a smart idea only when the condition is considered mild or at the beginning stage and one should always practice precaution whilst doing it. In any case, it also always recommended to consult a doctor at the onset of any diseases, illness or allergy just to make sure the health issue has been properly diagnosed and the right treatment is being meted out. As such yeast infections are not the kind of health issue that poses a major risk to one’s overall health but best to treat it at the earliest to avoid further related discomforts.