Lots of talks are doing the rounds regarding the legalization of cannabis in almost all the states of USA as well as in many other nations of the world at large. It is a well-known fact that cannabis is a popular recreational drug, which is used worldwide. However, along with recreational purposes, it has also been found that cannabis comes with many medicinal and therapeutic benefits. It has been used in the management and treatment of various ailments including that of chronic pain, aches and inflammation, neurodegenerative disorders etc. When used for recreation purpose, it is usually for getting ‘high’. In some countries, cannabis has only been legalized for medicinal purpose and not for recreational use.
There are actually two main components which make up cannabis – CBD and THC. Cannabis contains innumerable kinds of cannabinoids and cannabidiol (CBD) and THC are the prominent ones. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) has strong psychoactive effects and this is why people feel high. However, CBD does not have any kinds of psychoactive effects and abound in various benefits. The neuroprotective properties of CBD need special mention in this case. People suffering from brain and nervous system problems along with other neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s have gained greatly from the use of CBD oil.
What is CBD oil?
Now that you know what is CBD, the common question that comes to the mind is how is CBD available to people. There are various formats in which CBD is delivered to customers. One of the most common forms in which CBD is made available is CBD oil. Easy to use, CBD oil is available in different concentrations, depending upon the need of the patient. It is very important to mention here that CBD oil does not contain THC. As a result, there are simply no scopes of feeling ‘high’ on use of CBD oil. As mentioned above, CBD oil is used extensively for treatment of various kinds of chronic issues.
CBD oil and how it manages the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease
Parkinson’s disease is one of the most common neurodegenerative disorders, which hampers normal life of a person drastically. There are combinations of motor and non-motor symptoms in Parkinson’s disease. Some of the most common symptoms of the ailment include weakness, tremors, dizziness, stiffness, sleeplessness, anxiety and so on. All these issues affect the normal functioning of a person adversely. It is extremely relieving to know that CBD oil when taken helps in relieving the symptoms of Parkinson’s to quite an extent and helps in reducing pain and inflammation as well as improves sleep in patients of this neurodegenerative ailment. As per latest reports, almost 10 million people across the globe have benefited in Parkinson’s symptoms with use of CBD oil. Infact both CBD and THC address symptoms of Parkinson’s successfully, but because of the feeling ‘high’ effect, THC is avoided, but CBD is abundantly used, particularly in oil form.
Recommended CBD Products for Parkinson’s disease
How does CBD oil work for Parkinson’s disease?
The human body naturally makes cannabinoids, which help in carrying out different important functions in the body. The cannabinoids actually bind to the various receptors throughout the whole body and brain. Majority of these receptors are found in basal ganglia. This is a part of brain cells, which plays an important role in regulating movements and is unfortunately affected by Parkinson’s. Medical research and studies are trying to figure out if cannabinoids from cannabis, particularly CBD can bind to basal ganglia and helps in relieving symptoms of Parkinson’s in any manner.
- Helps in reducing stiffness and pain – Patients of Parkinson’s often face uncontrollable shaking or tremors. Along with this, another significant symptom of this ailment is stiffness and rigidity. The muscles are not able to stretch and relax as they should be able to. It has been seen that CBD oil has helped in minimizing this sensation of stiffness and rigidity considerably. Irritability and pain are also managed well (1).
- Helps in improving overall quality of life – The quality of life of a Parkinson’s patient practically goes for a toss. There are psychological and emotional issues along with different kinds of motor challenges like balance issues, slow movements and also tremors (2). In a survey report, it has been found that patients who were treated with CBD oil had better quality of life than others who did not use the oil.
- Helps in decreasing psychotic symptoms – Psychosis is a common thing in Parkinson’s patients. Almost 20-30% of such patients will experience some or other kind of paranoia, hallucinations, delusions or illusions. If one has long longevity with Parkinson’s, the problem of psychosis will only increase. Low levels of dopamine are the main cause of this ailment and when dopamine medications are administered for increasing dopamine levels, psychosis is a side effect which might take place. Symptoms of psychosis have been brilliantly handled with CBD oil in many people. Infact people with acute psychosis have gained greatly from CBD oil.
- Helps in managing and treating insomnia – Sleeplessness and insomnia are some of the most common symptoms from which patients of Parkinson’s disease suffer. Taking CBD oil helps in getting proper and deep sleep as this works excellently for the problem of insomnia and sleeplessness (3). Insomnia in these patients keep on increasing with passing time, but CBD oil is a natural and safe remedy for the problem.
- Helps in reducing inflammation – Since CBD oil abounds in antioxidants, it has excellent anti-inflammatory properties. Pain, stiffness and inflammation from the joints is reduced significantly, which actually increases with progression of the disease. The inflammatory pain is reduced to a great extent with CBD oil.
Since Parkinson’s is a neurodegenerative disorder, it keeps on getting worse with passage of time. Its effects cannot be reversed in any manner. But what can be done is delay the progress of the ailment as much as possible. And since CBD oil is rich in antioxidants, it does this role brilliantly. Slowness of movement can also be handled with CBD oil. On the whole, this natural CBD oil has proved to be a great remedy for management of Parkinson’s and other neurodegenerative disorders.