Wright State University.

The Guardian

We Serve U to bring Clothes That Work to campus

Kristina Thomas, Features Writer

We Serve U, a service group for faculty and staff, is teaming up with Clothes That Work to show students appropriate attire for the business world. We Serve U will hold a fashion show on March 27 at noon in the Student Union Atrium, which will showcase business suits and casual business attire for men and women. The models for this event are members of the Gamma Sigma sorority and Engineers Without Borders.

“Clothes That Work is an organization that helps people who are transitioning, graduating and in need of business attire for job interviews,” chair of We Serve U Joanie Hendricks said. “Anybody is welcomed to attend.”

According to Hendricks, Career Services will be at the event to talk to students about the services they provide and tips they need for getting a job.  Clothes That Work, located at the Job Center in Dayton, has received over 18,000 pieces of clothing in donations.

“It is so nice there at the store. It looks like a retail center,” Hendricks said.

This nonprofit organization has been providing professional clothing, image counseling and training for job seekers in Montgomery County since 1998. In addition to providing interview clothing and training, the organization also conducts seminars to give tips and coach behavior. Some donated clothing is too colorful or not appropriate for interviews, Clothes That Work sells the clothing at their boutique, located in the Job Center.

“We are working with Clothes That Work by setting up bins around the university from March 18-27 for people to donate business clothes or prom dresses,” Hendricks said. “During the fashion show, audience members can buy outfits for $30 and win raffle prizes which include prepaid vouchers to the Clothes That Work store. ”

online_Clothes-that-work024130316Hendricks said the idea for the fashion show came about through the Volunteer Fair that We Serve U held earlier this semester. Clothes That Work was one of the organizations that attended; they discussed collaborating for an event at that time.  According to Hendricks, this event is great for students to attend before they graduate or start looking for internships.

“Everybody at WSU is here to get a career,” Hendricks said. “So students should come to this event to learn how to dress and get some guidance.  Models will not just be wearing black and blue outfits, but also incorporating business casual and casual Friday. Many people are unsure as to what is appropriate for those days. We will clear that up for them. This event will show the Do’s and Don’ts and is geared to really help WSU students and, with donations, the entire community.”

For more information about Clothes That Work visit clothesthatwork.org. For more information about the fashion show at WSU, contact Joanie Hendricks at [email protected]

• We Serve U to bring Clothes That Work to campus

News

Wright State’s K9 unit to receive protective vests

News

Wright State holds graduation ceremony for over 2,000 students

News

Org space redesign being discussed

News

Hopkins backs out of commencement ceremony duties

Arts & Entertainment

Hit or Miss: Where to eat on campus

News

Unicorn Frappuccino is magical and a total headache to make

News

WSU Starbucks worker dies of heart attack

News

Vice president of research to resign

News

US drops the “mother of all bombs” on cave complex in Afghanistan

News

Top WSU administration looks for new positions

Wright State University.