Catalytic converters stolen on campus

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
February 12, 2014
Filed under Crime, News

Four separate thefts of catalytic converters from vehicles parked on campus occurred today between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., according to WSU police. The alleged thieves are targeting high-clearance vehicles like trucks and SUVs, crawling underneath the vehicles to cut off catalytic converters with... Read More »

Student parents at Wright State: The challenging blend of higher education and parenthood

Brandon Semler, Editor-In-Chief
January 30, 2014
Filed under Wright Life

Time management, planning and patience are a few of the essential skills that a successful student parent must practice, according to several Wright State students that are currently balancing the two prominent aspects of their lives. The following will provide an in-depth look at several of the student... Read More »

New semester, new look

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
January 23, 2014
Filed under Blog

The frigid beginning of Spring Semester is now upon us, and with that, a newly designed "Guardian" print and online publication. The new look is completely different from any that The Guardian has presented in its almost-50 year history, and we take great pride in it. For those that have not yet picked... Read More »

Gun threat occurs at The Province Apartments

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
January 21, 2014
Filed under Crime

A firearm threat occurred at The Province Apartments last night around 11, though nothing was stolen and no direct threats were made. Contrary to the email alert sent to students around 1:00 a.m. by Wright State police, no robbery occurred, according Captain David Tidd of the Greene County Sheriff's... Read More »

Wright State graduate found with 48 bombs

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
January 9, 2014
Filed under Crime

Wright State graduate Andrew Scott Boguslawski, 43, is being held on a $1 million bond after investigators found 48 bombs in his car during a traffic stop on Interstate 70 in Madison County. The Moores Hill, Ind. resident was found with 48 explosive devices, a remote detonator, two loaded guns, two... Read More »

Two students arrested for suspected burglary

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
January 1, 2014
Filed under Crime

Two Wright State students were arrested by Fairborn Police, suspected of stealing credit cards, cash and a laptop from Cimarron Woods Apartments. According to WHIO, Mahmoud Kamel, 23, was found and arrested at his parents' home in Mason on Dec. 30. Omotunji Badiru, 23, turned himself in to police... Read More »

Wright State in talks to secure Tom Hanks for fundraiser

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
November 25, 2013
Filed under News

Wright State is currently in talks with Tom Hanks’ office for a campus visit in 2014. The university is trying to secure the Academy Award-winning actor for a fundraising campaign event set to take place in the fall, according to the Advancement Committee Report from the Wright State University... Read More »

Wright State student robbed at Province apartments

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
November 23, 2013
Filed under Crime

A Wright State student was robbed at gunpoint at The Province apartment complex on Clover Ridge. The student was robbed of his money, wallet and phone during the incident, according to Dayton Daily News. The suspect is described as black male wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and is considered... Read More »

Uphoff jailed after discovery of more child pornography

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
November 2, 2013
Filed under Crime

Retired Wright State professor James Uphoff will be sent to Butler County Jail this weekend after additional child pornography was discovered after his conviction on Oct. 17, according to Dayton Daily News. The former professor was scheduled for sentencing in Jan., but because of the new allegations,... Read More »

Piada opens on Pentagon Blvd.

Piada opens on Pentagon Blvd.

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
November 1, 2013
Filed under Business, News

The Italian eatery Piada opened its Pentagon Blvd. branch to a crowd of hungry campers Friday morning. The company offered a year's worth of free Piada to the first 100 guests, according to Piada Market Partner Ben Protheroe. "We had a lot of people camped out," Protheroe said. Piada offers... Read More »

Female student assaulted

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
October 22, 2013
Filed under Crime, News

An "unknown male" grabbed a female student's arm and kissed her neck before being pepper sprayed by the victim and fleeing on a black motorcycle with another male, according to a Wright State alert email sent to campus Tuesday afternoon. The incident occurred at 2:30 p.m. near Lots 12 and 13, according... Read More »

Gunfire at U.S. Capitol

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
October 3, 2013
Filed under News

A woman driving a black Infiniti tried to break through the barricades of the White House before leading police on a chase that ended in gunfire outside the U.S. Capitol Thursday, according to the Associated Press. The Guardian will update as more information is gathered.

Wright State police chief ‘relieved of duties’

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
September 16, 2013
Filed under News

Wright State Police Chief Michael Martinsen was "relieved of his duties," effective March 17, 2014, the university announced Monday. He will remain on paid leave until that time, WSU said. The Guardian will update as more information is gathered.

Several killed in Washington shooting

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
September 16, 2013
Filed under News

At least one gunman opened fire inside a building  at Washington Navy Yard Monday morning, killing several and wounding up to 10, according to The Associated Press. The Guardian will update as more information is gathered.

WSU police chief placed on paid leave

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
September 10, 2013
Filed under News

Wright State Police Chief Michael Martinsen was placed on paid administrative leave, the university said Monday. The university is currently investigating informal allegations made against him of sexual harassment, hostile work environment, retaliation and misuse of the university's credit card,... Read More »

Fairborn emergency vehicles outside Diggs Laboratory

Brandon Semler and Adam Ramsey
September 9, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

A Fairborn ambulance and fire truck parked outside of Diggs Laboratory around 11 a.m. Monday, as Fairborn Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) responded to a call. According to the police report, a 20 year-old female began seizing in Health Sciences. She reported feeling “Very stressed out” to... Read More »

Late night dining options limited for WSU students

Justin Boggs and Brandon Semler
September 4, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Wright State students have voiced concerns that there are not enough late night dining options, or weekend breakfast options on campus. After 9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, the only dining option is in the C-Store where students can purchase subs and snacks. On Fridays, the C-Store is the latest option closing... Read More »

WWSU automation running again

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
August 24, 2013
Filed under News

The automation programming for the Wright State radio station WWSU is back up and running after a back up hard drive was discovered last night, according to an email sent to WWSU DJs Friday night. The station's hard drive crashed early Thursday morning, sending the directors searching for a way to... Read More »

Paid positions open in Student Government

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
July 23, 2013
Filed under News

The positions of Commuter Senator and Director of Disability Affairs for Wright State Student Government (WSUSG) are now open, according to WSUSG. The organization advised those interested in more information to contact President Sukhmanjit Singh at sukhmanjit.singh@wsusg.com.  

Student Employment hour cuts finalized

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
July 19, 2013
Filed under News

Wright State student employees will be limited to 20 hours of work per week starting August 17, according to an email sent to Student Employment supervisors Friday. Students will also be held to 29 hour work weeks during breaks, eleven hours less than the current policy of 40 hours per week. The... Read More »

UPDATE: Woman carried from University Hall on stretcher

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
July 16, 2013
Filed under News

A Wright State employee was carried out of University Hall on a stretcher into an emergency vehicle tuesday around 1:35 p.m., suffering "what appeared to be a facial injury," according to a WSU Police Supplement Case Report. Employee Wetona Walchner  was transported to the Wright Patterson Emergency... Read More »

WSU student Ryan Rushing appointed to Board of Trustees

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
July 15, 2013
Filed under News

Sophomore Ryan Rushing was appointed Student Trustee on the WSU Board of Trustees last Wednesday. He will be the first undergraduate to serve on the board in 6 years, according to Rushing. The former SG senator said he received a call from Ohio Governor John Kasich... Read More »

Chartwells takes over as WSU food provider

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
July 3, 2013
Filed under News

The contract between Wright State and Chartwells has been finalized, and the organization has officially taken over as Wright State’s food provider. Chain locations such as Starbucks coffee, Jamba Juice and Tim Hortons are all expected to open either this year, or in 2014. Most locations on campus... Read More »

Wright State student dies after second heart transplant

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
June 27, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Wright State student Rachel Doseck, 21, died June 24, months after her second heart transplant. Doseck received her first heart transplant in 2002 at the age of 10. Her second took place on Jan. 19, 2013, according to Wapakoneta Daily News (WDN). At Wright State, Doseck was a member of the 4-H... Read More »

DOMA deemed unconstitutional by Supreme Court

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
June 26, 2013
Filed under News

The Supreme Court ruled the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) unconstitutional Wednesday by a 5-4 vote. DOMA, the law that barred federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages legalized by the states, violates the Fifth Amendment, the court said. "By seeking to displace this protection and... Read More »

Wright State Bursar to move transactions exclusively online

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
June 25, 2013
Filed under News

The Wright State Office of the Bursar will be moving all payments and transactions exclusively online on July 1, according to a campus announcement from RaiderConnect. The move to online only was made to accommodate the current RaiderConnect goal of creating a more efficient and simple system for... Read More »

Wing walker plane crashes at Vectren Dayton Air Show

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
June 22, 2013
Filed under News

Wing walker Jane Wicker and pilot Charlie Schwenker were killed in a plane crash at the Vectren Dayton Air Show today, according to Dayton Daily News. The plane burst into flames when it hit the ground just before 1 p.m., and a fire truck was at the crash in seconds to extinguish the flames. The... Read More »

Female reports being grabbed in Health Sciences Building

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
June 21, 2013
Filed under News

A female reported to campus police that she was grabbed by the arm and neck by an unknown male subject who said he wanted to have sexual intercourse with her on Friday morning around 11:30 a.m. in the stairwell of the Health Sciences Building (between the first and second floors). The female said she... Read More »

Allegation of rape near Province apartments investigated

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
June 18, 2013
Filed under News

The Green County Sheriff's Department is currently investigating a female's allegation of rape near the Province apartments Sunday morning, according to Dayton Daily News (DDN). Major Eric Spicer said that the department is investigating allegations that a woman was raped by multiple subjects... Read More »

Wright State Orthopaedics offers bone health educational session

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
June 14, 2013
Filed under News

Wright State Orthopaedics will offer a educational session about osteoporosis and bone health on Tuesday, June 18, at 7 p.m., according to Boonshoft School of Medicine. The event will take place in the Family Medicine Conference Room in the Wright State Physicians medical office building (725University... Read More »

Transformer explodes causing brief power outage

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
May 29, 2013
Filed under News

A utility pole located outside The Village apartments caught fire yesterday morning after a transformer on the top exploded. The incident caused The Village, College Park, Honors Community and The Woods to go without power for around four hours, according to Director of Residence Life & Housing Dan... Read More »

Wright State Orthopedics to offer free session on muscle disorders

Brandon Semler and Heather Maurer
May 20, 2013
Filed under News

Wright State Orthopaedics will offer an educational session about the common problems of the musculoskeletal system on Tuesday, May 21 at 7 p.m., according to Boonshoft School of Medicine Marketing and Communications. The session is free and open to the public, and will take place in the Family Medicine... Read More »

WSU Board of Trustees seeking new Student Member

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
May 14, 2013
Filed under News, Uncategorized

Applications are currently being accepted for the position of Student Member of the Wright State Board of Trustees, according to a release addressed to faculty by the Student Trustee Search Committee. Qualifications for the position include being "mature, reliable and interested in serving the entire... Read More »

Student Union remodeling designed to offer appeal and convenience

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
May 8, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

The remodeling of the main entrance to the Student Union will make Wright State more appealing to new students and will serve as a “one-stop shop” for current students, according to Facilities Planner Mark Horsley. The completed product will include RaiderConnect and Admissions departments and... Read More »

Wright State student found dead in Fairborn

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
May 1, 2013
Filed under News

Wright State student Brandon Spencer, 20, was found dead from a gunshot wound on April 23, according to Dayton Daily News. Spencer was found at 1157 Oakhill Ave., the residence he  listed as his address in court records. James M. Johnson, 69, is the owner of the residence, according to Dayton Daily... Read More »

Free Skin Cancer Screenings available locally

Brandon Semler, Editor-in-Chief
April 29, 2013
Filed under News

... Read More »

Boonshoft School of Medicine hosts TEDMED

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
April 19, 2013
Filed under News

The Boonshoft School of Medicine hosted a simulcast of TEDMED, an annual conference that focuses on health and medicine, on April 17 in White Hall. TEDMED is a "multidisciplinary community of innovators and leaders who share a common determination to create a better future in health and... Read More »

Chartwells give input on their plans for future food services

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
April 18, 2013
Filed under News

The recently selected campus food provider, Chartwells, strives to provide “outstanding customer service to the students” by providing new and improved food options, affordable meal plans for residents and fast and efficient technological communication, according to Chartwells Regional Marketing... Read More »

First doctoral degree introduced in CEHS: Organizational leadership

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
April 11, 2013
Filed under News

The College of Education and Human Services (CEHS) will be introducing its first-ever doctoral program in the fall, which will focus on organizational studies. “It’s really wonderful that we now have a doctoral level program within the college,” Leadership Studies in Education Professor Jill... Read More »

Anti-taxation graffiti found on tunnel walls

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

A graffitied picture and a message reading “Taxation is Theft” were painted on multiple blank wall spaces in the tunnels between Fawcett Hall and the Medical Sciences building last week. The unwarranted design was discovered March 27 by Physical Plant staff, who permanently painted over the design... Read More »

Human trafficking prevalence in Ohio: event re-cap

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under News

“Humans for Sale: Slavery in Ohio,” (presented by the COLA Dean’s Student Advisory Board) featured a variety of speakers and events on Monday in the Apollo room from 6-9pm. The event featured five speakers that focused on different elements of the issue, such as awareness of sex and labor trafficking,... Read More »

Decrease in enrollment inevitable with a bad economy

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under News

Assistant Vice President for Undergraduate Admissions Cathy Davis said that Wright State’s near 2,500 drop in overall student enrollment from 2011 to 2012 could be explained by declining high school demographics in Ohio, and a bad economy. Projections indicate that beginning in 2009-2010, the number... Read More »

Recommendation passed for smoking zones on campus

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Student Government passed a recommendation for smoking zones on campus at their meeting on March 26. University College Senator and smoking task force member Ryan Rushing said that the recommendation was just an indicator of where student government stood on the issue, and was a small piece... Read More »

UAB explains plans for future concert planning after Spring Musefest cancelled

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
March 28, 2013
Filed under News

University Activities Board (UAB) is considering working with a promoter for next year’s spring concert after low ticket sales for this year’s event featuring the All American Rejects forced them to rethink their strategy, according to UAB President Kit Dysart. UAB is the “premier programming... Read More »

Singh and Fagan win the SG election

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
March 28, 2013
Filed under News

... Read More »

The search for the next campus food provider continues

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
March 22, 2013
Filed under News

The search for the new Wright State food provider has entered the homestretch, as the four competing finalists will be visiting campus in the coming weeks to present to the university.   ARAMARK, Chartwells, Ovations/American Dining Creations and current provider Sodexo will each give a 30-minute... Read More »

Student Government election this week: candidate profiles

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
March 20, 2013
Filed under News

Presidential Candidate: Kyle Powell       Vice Presidential Candidate: Ryan Rushing ... Read More »

Spring Musefest cancelled

Spring Musefest cancelled

Brandon Semler, News Writer
March 16, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, News, Top Stories

The All American Rejects concert scheduled for March 21 has been cancelled due to the illness of a performer, according to the University Activities Board (UAB). The show will not be rescheduled. The “Spring Musefest” concert was to also feature bands The Ready Set and Out of Sight. This will... Read More »

Find a variety of beers at these local bars

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
March 15, 2013
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

St. Patrick’s Day is synonymous with bar visitation for many college students, and those with a taste for beer have several options in the Wright State area. Many bars near Wright State are constantly importing new and old beers both on tap and draft, giving customers a wide variety of options to... Read More »

Famous composer to hold workshops on campus

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
March 13, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Award winning composer Steven Schwartz will be performing and conducting workshops with students at Wright State March 18-19. Schwartz has composed for numerous Broadway musicals, including “Wicked,” “Godspell” and “Children of Eden.” He has also composed scores to films such as “Pocahontas,”... Read More »

More “Wright State pride” requested in tunnel system

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
March 9, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

The Wright State tunnels could soon be getting a makeover.   A resolution to “encourage decorating... Read More »

Wireless internet problems among campus residential areas leads to RA interference

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
March 8, 2013
Filed under News

Residence Services will soon be tracking wireless beacons in residential areas and asking students to remove them. Wireless Internet provided to students in residential areas (separate from main campus) has recently encountered interference and slower processing because of wireless devices used by... Read More »

Heating & cooling system renovation approved by Board of Trustees

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
February 21, 2013
Filed under News

A $25.5 million renovation of the heating and cooling system on campus has been approved by the Board of Trustees, and will begin in February.   According to an article issued by the Office of Communications and Marketing,  the change will decrease campus energy consumption... Read More »

Delta Tau Delta raises money for fellow brother and his family

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
February 20, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Wright State fraternity... Read More »

Kruue approved businesses go mobile: Download the app for local discounts

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
February 20, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

The college promotion company... Read More »

WSU couples share their stories

WSU couples share their stories

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
February 14, 2013
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

Wright State President David Hopkins said that he felt the most important part of Valentine’s Day was recognizing and thanking those that mean the most. For him, they are his wife Angelia and his six children. “It’s a time to really thank them for whatever way they have touched your life,”... Read More »

Astrophysicist visits WSU for the Presidential Lecture Series

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
February 9, 2013
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

Astrophysicist and host of PBS’s “NOVA ScienceNOW” Neil deGrasse Tyson will present his lecture “Ten Things You Need to Know about the Universe” in the Apollo Room on Thursday, March 7, at 7 p.m. Tyson’s presentation is part of the “Presidential Lecture Series” at Wright State, and... Read More »

All American Rejects to perform at WSU “Spring Musefest”

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
February 8, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Wright Life

The University Activities Board has announced that Alternative rockers All American Rejects will perform at the Nutter Center on March 21 for “Spring Musefest.” Tickets for students will cost $25 for the floor and $20 for regular, and tickets for the general public will cost $10 more. The tickets... Read More »

Remodeling of the bookstore to be completed soon

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
February 6, 2013
Filed under News

... Read More »

Smoking task force looking to change policies on campus

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
February 6, 2013
Filed under News

The smoking policy at Wright State could be updated by the end of the semester, as a new team has been formed by administration to determine the policy that would best suit campus. The Smoking Task Force is a committee consisting of students, staff, faculty and administration that has been assembled... Read More »

Student turns to comedy for his future

Student turns to comedy for his future

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
February 2, 2013
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

Wright State senior Adrian Cosby said that he always loved to make people laugh. Now he is trying to take it to the next level. For the past two years Cosby has been active in stand up comedy, performing at venues such as Wiley’s and The Funnybone. He said that his experience at Wright State was... Read More »

Local band celebrating their CD release with a concert

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
February 1, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

Dayton rockers Motel Beds will celebrate the release of their most recent CD "Dumb Gold" on Feb. 8 at Canal Street Tavern. The show will begin at 9 p.m. and will feature openers Connections and Kyle Showashes. Tickets are $5. The band's sound is drenched in the semi-distorted, layered guitar... Read More »

Kristin Sobolik chosen as the new dean for COLA

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
January 30, 2013
Filed under News

... Read More »

New VP chosen for Student Govenment

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
January 26, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Wright State Senior, Matthew Harmon, has been decided the new vice president of Student Government after Marc Tshimanyika’s resignation earlier in Jan. Harmon’s promotion was made official at the Student Government meeting Tuesday night, where President Joseph Gibbons said the decision was of... Read More »

Tropical Smoothie introduces new tacos

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
January 26, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

Tropical Smoothie is now offering fish and chicken tacos, as well as a new smoothie for their “Tropical Tacos Promotion.” The promotion began on Jan. 7 and will continue until Mar. 31. The restaurant will also be recognizing “Taco Tuesdays,” in which customers will be able to purchase two... Read More »

Plans to return “bacon” sculpture to original author

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
January 24, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

The sculpture “Divisions”, better known on campus as “the bacon”, is deteriorating and could soon be getting returned to the author. The now 175-year-old wood that was used to build the sculpture has begun rotting, and Physical Plant has surrounded the sculpture’s  parameters with yellow... Read More »

Campus police promote participation in personal protection training for students

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
January 16, 2013
Filed under News

In the past 30 years, 62 mass murders have occurred in the United States alone, according to Mother Jones Magazines. What if one took place at Wright State? In order to prepare for a violent event on campus, Wright State Police Sargent and Crime Prevention Coordinator Patrick Ammon urges students to... Read More »

Students give their opinions on Sodexo as their food service provider

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
January 16, 2013
Filed under News

Wright State will soon be deciding between five food providers (including current provider Sodexo), which is the best fit to serve campus. Some Wright State students feel that Sodexo has not performed up to par with what they feel a campus food provider should. “I would like to see better food quality,”... Read More »

Student Government president and Sigma Phi Epsilon member spent his winter break volunteering at a homeless shelter

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
January 16, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Instead of enjoying a winter... Read More »

A new food provider could have a major impact on current employees

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
January 11, 2013
Filed under News

If Sodexo is not rehired as Wright State's food provider in the upcoming bid for contracts, jobs could be lost or maintained at the Union Market, The Hangar, and The C-Store, all depending on the discretion of the new provider. Sodexo currently employs all of those working for Dinning Services... Read More »

Student dies from Influenza A virus

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
January 11, 2013
Filed under News

Wright State Junior, Amelia Catherine Perry, died at the age of 22 on Tuesday after being hospitalized with the influenza A virus, according to the Dayton Daily News and the Greene County Combined Health District. Perry was a communications major at Wright State and a 2008 graduate of Fairborn High... Read More »

New dean chosen for the College of Liberal Arts

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
January 10, 2013
Filed under News

Kristin Sobolik has been selected as the new dean of the College of Liberal Arts, and began her tenure on the first day of Spring Semester, Jan. 7. Sobolik was the assistant dean at the University of Maine, and will be taking over the reins from Interim Dean Linda Caron, who filled the spot after Charles... Read More »

The top Christmas movies to end the holiday season

Brandon Semler, News Writer
December 28, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

From a grown man walking the streets of New York dressed as an elf to a deserving angel earning his wings, a good Christmas movie has the ability to raise spirits, no matter how fake and cheesy it might be. The increasing persistence of Christmas movies on television is always an indicator that the... Read More »

New dining plans for students may be an option with new food providers

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
December 26, 2012
Filed under News

With the upcoming Sodexo contract expiration, Wright State could be looking into offering different types of meal plans in addition to the debit plan. The decision between potential food providers Sodexo, ARAMARK, Chartwells, AVI Foodsystems, and Ovations will be made in March or April, and more... Read More »

Low residency leads to fourth floor in Hamilton Hall being closed down

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
December 24, 2012
Filed under News

Because of low residency numbers on campus at Wright State, Residence Services will be closing down the fourth floor of Hamilton Hall for spring semester, forcing the students that live there to relocate. Both the south and the west wing will be temporarily shut down and the two RA’s that work there... Read More »

Students comment on the top Twitter accounts followed

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
December 21, 2012
Filed under News

Do a person’s tweets say anything about their personality? Several Wright State students were asked this very question, and the responses were quite diverse. ... Read More »

Trans-Siberian Orchestra brings holiday spirit to the Nutter Center

Brandon Semler, News Writer
December 17, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

The holiday friendly progressive rock/metal outfit known as The Trans-Siberian Orchestra (TSO) performed at Wright State’s... Read More »

Student government proposes plan for students with low GPAs

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
December 9, 2012
Filed under News

Students that are struggling academically could soon be required to seek faculty advice before being able to register for the next semester. In late October, Wright State Student Government passed a resolution that would require students with a GPA of 2.25 or lower to meet with their advisors before... Read More »

New food provider to be chosen as Sodexo contract ends

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
December 8, 2012
Filed under News

Wright State could be welcoming a new food provider in June of 2013, as current provider Sodexo’s contract will expire. Sodexo has served as Wright State’s food provider since 1995, and has outbid other companies three times since then. It currently provides all of the food options available on... Read More »

The search for a new College of Liberal Arts dean continues

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
December 3, 2012
Filed under News

The... Read More »

Psychostick brought laughs and metal to Dayton

Brandon Semler, News Writer
December 2, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

The pioneers of the "humorcore" genre Psychostick performed at McGuffey's House of Rock in Dayton as a part of their "XMas Tour" in which much of the set was derived from their 2007 album "The Flesh Eating Rollerskate Holiday Joyride." The tour was a product of fan demand for the anti-holiday tunes,... Read More »

Caffeine and energy drinks can cause major health issues

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
November 28, 2012
Filed under News

Many college students depend on energy drinks to get them through the day, as they begin to feel negative effects without the caffeine’s presence. “When I cut the caffeine I got headaches and got very tired,” Wright State student Jeff Slaughter said. “It got pretty bad.” Though Slaughter... Read More »

New pep band director aims to improve atmosphere during athletic events

Brandon Semler, News Writer
November 28, 2012
Filed under Sports

For new pep band director Aaron Jacobs, music doesn’t just provide a backdrop for athletic events--it inspires fans. Jacobs began the two-year graduate teaching assistant position at the beginning of the semester and hopes to play modern music, build tradition and increase enthusiasm for Wright... Read More »

Generation Y’s FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
November 17, 2012
Filed under News

Distractions have never been foreign to any college or university. Rambunctious parties, sporting events or even the latest season of “The Walking Dead” can be enough to put off that homework assignment or report for “just a while longer.” With so much happening, many college students worry that... Read More »

New pharmacy opens on campus, offering free services to students

Brandon Semler, News Writer
November 15, 2012
Filed under Wright Life

... Read More »

Student finds evidence of paranormal activity in Dayton area

Brandon Semler, News Writer
November 8, 2012
Filed under Wright Life

Although Halloween’s cadaverous costumes and stylistic spooks have recessed until 2013, alleged “paranormal activity” has been reported in many locations near Wright State’s campus. Listed below are just a few. Yellow Springs, OH Yellow Springs is a small town with a population... Read More »

The election is over; it is time to move on

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
November 7, 2012
Filed under Opinions

It’s over. Barack Obama will serve the President of the United States for the next four years. Now it’s time to move on. Whether or not our candidate of choice was the winner, we must come to terms with the fact that the man in the White House is now the man in charge. But hey, let’s be optimistic... Read More »

Truth or Lie: Check your facts

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
October 28, 2012
Filed under News

Websites such as politifact.com and factcheck.org were designed to provide an unbiased fact check on comments, numbers and accusations that are presented by politicians. They present their audience with the analysis of the candidates’ claims, and what the website’s research indicates about them. “The... Read More »

The new District 10

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
October 26, 2012
Filed under News

Mike Turner (R), the current representative for Ohio’s third congressional district, will be challenged in the upcoming election by Sharen Neuhardt (D) in the first election involving the newly-drawn district 10. The winner of this election will serve as the representative in Washington for the Miami... Read More »

Obama and Biden speak in Dayton

Obama and Biden speak in Dayton

Brandon Semler, News Writer
October 25, 2012
Filed under News

President Barak Obama and Vice President Joe Biden spoke to an audience of around 9,500 on the importance of early voting, foreign policy, the auto industry and a contagious “condition” referred to as “Romneysia”. They spoke at Dayton’s Triangle... Read More »

Maura Cullen visits Wright State

Maura Cullen visits Wright State

Brandon Semler, News Writer
October 23, 2012
Filed under Wright Life

Diversity, discrimination, communication and bullying were some of the key topics addressed by Maura Cullen, Ph.D., the author of the book  “35 Dumb Things Well-Intended People Say: Surprising Things We Say That Widen The Diversity Gap.”  Cullen is widely known as an expert on diversity and leadership,... Read More »

Electronic glitch a possible reason for water tower issues

Brandon Semler, News Writer
October 19, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories, Uncategorized

Though no solid evidence has been summoned pinpointing the exact reason for the low water pressure that deprived Wright State campus of clean water from Oct. 14 to Oct. 16, the issue could have formed from an electronic communication glitch, according to Physical Plant Manager Jeff Trick. An electronic... Read More »

Safety Blurb- Sexual Assault

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
October 17, 2012
Filed under News

According to the Wright State Police Department, an anonymous female reported being sexually assaulted to police on Oct. 15, though the assault occurred on Sept. 29. The victim told police that she was walking out of a campus convenience store around 3:30 p.m. when an unidentifiable group of people... Read More »

“2016: Obama’s America”: A negative portrayal of Obama

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
October 17, 2012
Filed under News

Dinesh D’Sousa’s controversial film “2016: Obama’s America” has received both praise and criticism for its negative portrait of the current president and his “hidden agenda.” The film was released in July and has grossed over $33.3 million, making it the fourth most successful domestic... Read More »

Wright State represents at BeardCon

Wright State represents at BeardCon

Brandon Semler, News Writer
October 15, 2012
Filed under Wright Life

Students and faculty were involved in the facial hair festivities, lasting from 3 p.m. to around 11 p.m.  All proceeds from the event went to the Central Ohio Men Against Prostate Cancer, a nonprofit organization. The annual event featured beard-based contests, games, discussion panels,... Read More »

Ohio 444 shut down and rerouted

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
October 10, 2012
Filed under News

The section of Ohio 444 that runs along Wright Patterson Air Force Base will be permanently shut down and reconfigured starting Tuesday, Oct. 9. None of the Wright State entrances will be affected, but travelers using Ohio 444 to get to campus will be rerouted. The stretch of Ohio 444 between W. Dayton... Read More »

The ink effect: tattoos and the job market

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
October 10, 2012
Filed under News

Are you thinking about “getting ink done?” Do you wonder how it will be seen through professional eyes? The place of tattoos in the professional environment has begun to evolve as more Americans are getting “ink.” Employers hold differing views on what is acceptable and what is not when it comes... Read More »

Tweeting their way to the top: Social media and the election

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
October 10, 2012
Filed under News

As candidates Barack Obama (D) and Mitt Romney (R) turn on the homestretch in the race for the White House, every step they take is being criticized, praised, mocked and analyzed. At the click of a mouse or the touch of an iPhone, millions of people are instantly made aware of the latest news and gossip... Read More »

Fear the Wolf and win prizes

Fear the Wolf and win prizes

Brandon Semler, News Writer
October 9, 2012
Filed under Wright Life

The Wright State University Bookstore released a school spirit shirt for students here on campus. However, this is no ordinary shirt; it can earn you free prizes. The “Fear the Wolf Fridays” effort launched in August, and offers exclusive benefits for students who wear the green “Fear the Wolf”... Read More »

Political candidates’ views on financial aid

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
October 4, 2012
Filed under News

Are you struggling with college debt? Have you been forced to take out more loans than you feel you can afford? Many Americans are in the same boat, which is why college federal funding has presented itself as an important issue of the upcoming election. Many college students breathed a sigh of relief... Read More »

Smiles: Not always the best medicine

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
October 4, 2012
Filed under News

Authorities arrived at a house party in Minnesota last March to find one dead and ten in need of hospitalization after an apparent overdose on the psychedelic designer drug known as 2C-1, or “smiles”. Last July, this drug and many other designer substances became Schedule 1 drugs in the Synthetic... Read More »

Green Day’s “iUno!” reminisces their younger days

Brandon Semler, News Writer
October 3, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

The potty-mouthed pop punkers that brought the world “Dookie” and “Nimrod” are back to their old ways. Their arrival could not have been timelier. The atmosphere on Green Day's most recent release “iUno!” sounds closer to the band’s 1994 breakthrough album “Dookie” than it does... Read More »

Former WSU students and the “future of television”

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
September 26, 2012
Filed under News

Ever since the explosion of social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Pinterest, many newly established websites have become locked into competition to become the “next big thing.” One of these sites was born right here at Wright State: a site known as Blixir. Founded by former Wright... Read More »

Presidential candidates’ views on healthcare

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
September 26, 2012
Filed under News

Be aware of healthcare As the 2012 election draws nearer, the issues dividing President Barak Obama and Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney have been placed under the microscope.  Judgements and opinions have been circling the ideas of the two opponents, and much of the controversy has been centered... Read More »

Album Review: Beats Antique’s “Contraption Vol. II”

Brandon Semler, Contributing Writer
September 25, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

Experimentation has never been a stranger to the electronica/world music outfit Beats Antique, and their most recent release “Contraption Vol. II” serves as no exception. Released on Sept. 18, “Contraption” possesses all the elements that make Beats Antique what they are: one of a kind. Their... Read More »

Beats Antique comes to Ohio

Beats Antique comes to Ohio

Brandon Semler, Contributing Writer
September 25, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

The electronica/world music outfit Beats Antique performed for a packed house at the Newport Music Hall on Tuesday, September 18th. Touring in support of their most recent release, Contraption Vol. II, the band played for over two hours to an ecstatic and enthusiastic crowd. A musician known as... Read More »

The new KRUUE on campus

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
September 20, 2012
Filed under News

Questions have recently surfaced on campus about a mysterious organization known as KRUUE. The group has distributed some promotional flyers around campus, and many rumors have been circulating about the organization’s activity. Due to the mysterious nature of KRUUE, some students got the feeling that... Read More »

Residency down, spirits up

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
September 20, 2012
Filed under News

Wright State’s first Fall Semester has proven to be a spacious one for Residence Services, as the number of on-campus students has decreased significantly from previous years. Some of the dormitory facilities are down to roughly 80% capacity, while last year they were filled to the point that over... Read More »

Vice President Joe Biden visits Wright State

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
September 20, 2012
Filed under News

Vice President Joe Biden spoke at a grassroots event at Wright State on Wednesday, September 12 to campaign for the upcoming election. The standing-room-only event took place in the Apollo Room of the Student Union, and was free to the public. Biden spoke for approximately 20 minutes and spent a few... Read More »

Dining Services hosts sampling expo

Brandon Semler, News Writer
September 18, 2012
Filed under Wright Life

Hungry... Read More »

Best-selling author visits WSU

Brandon Semler, News Writer
September 18, 2012
Filed under Wright Life

Best-selling author Jean... Read More »

Future of Employment Cloudy at Wright Patterson Air Force Base

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
September 17, 2012
Filed under News

Many employees at Wright Patterson Air Force base are unsure of their job security as an estimated 4,000 to 5,000 jobs could be eliminated starting in January 2013. These cuts would be the product of budget sequestration, which is an issue that has received much attention in the Dayton area. Budget... Read More »

A Wright State legend passes

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
September 17, 2012
Filed under News

Former Wright State Professor and supporter, Dr. Benjamin Schuster, passed away on Aug. 24 at the age of 89. Schuster had served as a clinical professor of medicine at Wright State since 1975, and made numerous donations to the University, namely the arts program. “When we think of the long list of... Read More »

Beats Antique live at the Newport

Brandon Semler, News Writer
September 11, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

On Tuesday, September 18, the electronica/experimental world fusion act Beats Antique will take the stage at the Newport Music Hall in Columbus. The 7 p.m. show will also feature rapper Lynx as the opener. Beats Antique displays a wide range of musical influences, such as Middle Eastern belly dance,... Read More »

Surveillance drones: innovation or invasion?

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
September 5, 2012
Filed under News

In April, Senator John McCain deemed Wright Patterson Air Force Base an “attractive” potential testing site for unmanned aerial vehicles, also known as drones. The emergence of this new department would increase the area’s awareness of these pilotless vehicles and the many abilities they possess. Drones... Read More »

Summer in review at Wright State University

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
August 30, 2012
Filed under News

As the dog days of August set in, students are concluding their summer endeavors and preparing to resume their academic life here at Wright State. Many students attended summer classes, savoring their last chance to operate in a quarterly fashion. Many students went home, either working hard at a summer... Read More »

The New Pizza in Town: Wise Guys Vs. Cousin Vinny’s

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
August 25, 2012
Filed under News

... Read More »