The Sextant: The shook-up hookup

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
February 4, 2014
Filed under Opinions

Hooking up: the vaguest, most hated phrase of all those who live vicariously through the sexual exploits of others. Does it mean making out, running the bases, or full-on shacking up? The only thing everyone seems to agree on is that a hook up is commitment-free. The best thing about “hooking up”... Read more »

The celebration begins: The Wright State community celebrates MLK Day with a week of festivities

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
January 29, 2014
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

This week, as Wright State’s Bolinga Black Cultural Resources Center celebrates the life of Martin Luther King, Jr., it also celebrates its 43rd year as part of WSU’s campus. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a social activist and Baptist minister who fought for equality during the Civil Rights movement.... Read more »

UCIE to host discussion panel for International Education Week

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
November 15, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

The University Center for International Education (UCIE), Wright State’s Student Government and the International Cultural Exchange (ICE) will host a discussion panel featuring international students and faculty members. The student and faculty panel members will start by sharing their experiences... Read more »

Video game culture in a virtual world

Video game culture in a virtual world

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
November 15, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

From Pong to Pac-man to Mario to Skyrim, video games have had a long pop culture history and a cult following. "With the video game community, there's no good way to describe the different types of gamers there are," said president of Wright State's Adventurers' Guild Robert Leonard. He said gamers... Read more »

Real Life CSI: Professor Dan Krane sheds light on DNA analysis

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
November 6, 2013
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

“I’ve never seen more than five minutes straight of any single episode,” Dan Krane, Ph.D., said of 'CSI,' “though I do know the guy who is the inspiration for Mark Harmon’s character.” Since Mark Harmon plays Leroy Jethro Gibbs on “NCIS,” it isn’t hard to believe that Krane has never... Read more »

Students strut their stuff for Wright Top Model

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
November 2, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Wright Life

Five Wright State Students competed for the title of Wright Top Model at the annual competition organized by the African-American Residential Caucus (AARC). ... Read more »

Student dies of medical complications related to disability

Hannah Hendrix and Adam Ramsey
October 28, 2013
Filed under News

Wright State student Brant Isaly-Johns died in his College Park apartment early Sunday morning from medical complications related to a disability. The liberal studies major died from complications of spinal muscular atrophy type II, according to a Busch Funeral and Crematory Services obituary. Director... Read more »

Homecoming dance and Casino Night take over

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
October 18, 2013
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

Students went “all in” with the annual Homecoming Dance and Casino Night on Friday, Oct. 11. Students entered University Activities Board’s (UAB) "Dancing through the Decades"-themed dance through a “time warp” that set the tone for the event which featured hit songs from different decades... Read more »

Homecoming Week offers a variety of events

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
October 10, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Wright State students and alumni alike can gather this week for Homecoming Events including a cardboard boat race, a dance, a casino night, a chili cook-off and a tailgate event before the Homecoming game on Saturday. “The Cardboard Boat Race is a collaboration between the University Activities... Read more »

Lucas Williams: Wright State student comedian

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
October 7, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Wright State student Lucas Williams got his start in standup three years ago when he was a student at Miami University. “During my lunch period I would just start talking,” said Williams, “and it went from three or four people listening to people skipping class to come and see me.” Williams... Read more »

22-year-old sentenced to 17 years for shooting, killing Wright State student

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
October 5, 2013
Filed under Crime, News

A 22-year-old avoided a life sentence by pleading guilty to involuntary manslaughter and tampering with evidence on Friday, Oct. 4 in a Greene County court hearing. Damion Mitchell was sentenced to 17 years in prison, according to Greene County court documents. Prior to his guilty plea, Mitchell faced... Read more »

Area surrounding new classroom building site cut off from pedestrian traffic

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
October 4, 2013
Filed under News

During the week of Oct. 7, Wright State's Physical Plant will be installing fences to block foot traffic on the west side of University Hall, said a Physical Plant email sent Friday, Oct. 4. The fence will be installed for the safety of students as construction begins on the New Classroom Building.... Read more »

Review: MuseFest 2013

Review: MuseFest 2013

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
September 29, 2013
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

University Activities Board (UAB) hosted their MuseFest concert Friday, Sept. 20. The show was originally planned to take place outdoors at Alumni Tower, but was relocated due to rain. The relocation caused a half-hour delay in the start time for the concert, which... Read more »

Dining Services to implement hour changes

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
September 29, 2013
Filed under News, Uncategorized

Three Chartwells locations on campus are expected to change their hours of operation starting Oct. 1, with the C-Store opening at 2 p.m. rather than noon, Zona Mexicana and Meltdown closing at 7 p.m. instead of 9 p.m. and  the Dunbar Library Starbucks staying open until 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The... Read more »

¡La Fiesta! kicks off Hispanic heritage month

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
September 23, 2013
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

Students gathered in the quad for Hispanic food, music and crafts on Monday, Sept. 16 during ¡La Fiesta!, a Hispanic heritage month event from the Asian/Hispanic/Native American Center. From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. students could learn some Latin dance moves, make craft items and purchase Hispanic food... Read more »

Complainants not to file formal allegations in WSU police chief investigation

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
September 13, 2013
Filed under News

The two employees who made informal allegations of sexual harassment against Wright State Police Chief Michael Martinsen have indicated that "they will not proceed with the university's Affirmative Action Complaint Procedure," according to a Sept. 13 press release from the university. Martinsen... Read more »

AHNA Center to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
September 13, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Wright State’s Asian/Hispanic/Native American Center (AHNA) will hold its 16th annual Hispanic Heritage Month celebration, which will include a lecture, a documentary screening and a “Día de los Muertos” altar-making event. The center has hosted Hispanic Heritage Month festivities... Read more »

Career Services to host networking workshops

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
September 8, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

For those seeking to improve their game in the professional world, Career Services plans to host workshops about connecting with employers at career fairs Sept. 9 and 10. The workshops will be held on Monday, Sept. 9 from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. and Tuesday, Sept. 10 from 2:00 to 3:00 in the Rathskellar... Read more »

Man accused of exposing himself to residential students

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
September 7, 2013
Filed under Crime, News

According to records filed with the Fairborn Municipal Court, on Monday, Sept. 2, Trevor Robinson was arrested for allegedly exposing himself to three Wright State resident assistants, one of whom he is accused of physically assaulting. “The police are still investigating,” said Director of Residence... Read more »

Do the U broadens operation

Do the U broadens operation

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
August 29, 2013
Filed under Uncategorized, Wright Life

Do the U was held Aug. 23 in the Student Union, spanning the entire Student Union rather than just the Atrium for the first time. Do the U is a student organization fair that provides one of the first opportunities for freshmen to get involved in campus life at Wright State. The event was organized... Read more »

Residence Life and Housing faces drop in residential students

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
August 29, 2013
Filed under News

... Read more »

President’s cookout welcomes incoming students

Hannah Hendrix, Features Editor
August 23, 2013
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

Incoming students dined with Wright State President David Hopkins Friday afternoon at the annual President’s Cookout, held on North Lawn near the Student Union. The cookout kicked off WSU’s annual First Weekend events with music and food – grill items, chips and cookies were provided free of... Read more »

Model UN Team receives Outstanding Delegation recognition for the 34th year in a row

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
April 18, 2013
Filed under News

In March, Wright State’s Model United Nations (UN) traveled to New York City to compete against universities representing 46 different countries. For the 34th year, WSU received an Outstanding Delegation recognition--one of only 20 colleges who received the honor. “We competed against 149 universities... Read more »

Raj Soin College of Business to host Dress for Success fashion show

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
April 11, 2013
Filed under News

... Read more »

NPR correspondent teaches course at WSU

NPR correspondent teaches course at WSU

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
April 11, 2013
Filed under News

This summer, NPR (formerly National Public Radio) correspondent Jon Hamilton will be teaching a graduate level course at Wright State. According to a March 21 press release, Hamilton’s course will focus on “how to communicate scientific information in a way that is brief, clear, engaging, and... Read more »

The future of campus parking: Parking lot rumors clarified

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
April 6, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Rumors have been flying about Wright State’s parking plans for the next year. One of the most worrisome rumors was that the parking lot in front of the Student Union was slated to become a staff-only lot. Kathy Davidson from the Office of Facilities Planning and Development said that isn’t the... Read more »

Reach Committee to host event addressing cultural awareness

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
April 5, 2013
Filed under News

On Friday April 12 the Reach Committee will be holding a public dialogue to address issues of cultural awareness. Interested students can meet in the Org Complex at 6:00 p.m. “REACH actually stands for Raiders Educating and Advancing Cultural Horizons,” explains Lola Adebayo. “It’s meant to... Read more »

Alternatives discussed to change the funding of public higher education

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
March 31, 2013
Filed under News

The Campaign for the Future of Higher Education (CFHE) believes that there is a better way to fund higher education in the U.S. Last month, CFHE presented three working papers which discuss alternatives to the current systems of funding public higher education. These systems have resulted in skyrocketing... Read more »

Stepping and strolling are a part of NPHC organizations’ histories

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
March 30, 2013
Filed under News

This spring, National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC)  plans to host a Stroll Competition and a Yard Show. The Stroll Competition will be held on March 27th in the Student Union Atrium from 7 to 11 p.m. Admission is free of charge. The contest will feature members of the Divine Nine (which makes up NPHC),... Read more »

Human trafficking: a prevalent Ohio issue leads to a campus-wide event.

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
March 20, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

On... Read more »

The Graduate Series: Keeping the job

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
March 13, 2013
Filed under News

... Read more »

Greek life gets spring fever: Philanthropy events occurring all through March

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
March 7, 2013
Filed under News

This week (March 4 through 8) is “Ritual Awareness Week, “and next week is “Greek Week” on campus. March is filled with philanthropy events like Phi Kappa Tau & Zeta Tau Alpha’s Wake, Delta Zeta’s Mr. WSU, Theta Phi Alpha’s Theta Phiesta, Alpha Xi Delta, Phi Kappa Tau’s Roller... Read more »

The Graduate Series: Interviewing tips & tricks

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
March 7, 2013
Filed under News

Interviewing for a job is like auditioning for a play: you never know who will be watching, you have to know your lines and you have to remain calm and confident. Keep calm. In essence, an interview is just a conversation. The interviewer knows you are bound to be a little nervous, and they’re generally... Read more »

The Graduate Series: Résumé tips & tricks

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
February 20, 2013
Filed under News

A résumé can make or break a job opportunity. First impressions are everything and since the résumé is one of the first ways an employer gets to know job candidates, it is important to make sure your résumé is the best it can be. Check for typos. According to Careerbuilder.com, 87% of employers... Read more »

ODK hosts Leader2Leader Conference: Re-cap

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
February 20, 2013
Filed under News

Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK) hosted its ninth annual Leader2Leader Conference on Saturday, Feb. 16. This year ODK redesigned the conference’s structure: instead of a single keynote speaker, participants were able to choose to attend three different breakout sections, one for each session, making the experience... Read more »

Sigma Phi Epsilon to host annual Queen of Hearts week: Proceeds go to the American Heart Association

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
February 14, 2013
Filed under News

“Queen of Hearts Week is a week in which Sigma Phi Epsilon puts all its efforts into raising money for the American Heart Association,” Vinícius Vargas said. All of the proceeds from the event go to AHA, and this year, Sigma Phi Epsilon is putting a special emphasis on raising awareness of ways... Read more »

Billions of dollars are spent on Valentine’s Day gifts each year

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
February 14, 2013
Filed under News

Some people say you can’t put a price... Read more »

Sign up for ODK’s Leader2Leader conference

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
February 7, 2013
Filed under News

... Read more »

The Graduate Series: Best avenues to take in looking for jobs

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
February 6, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Perhaps the most diverse resource available is Wright State’s Career Services. “We offer the same services for students and alumni,” Associate Director of Career Services, Charlene Walker said. “One of our major tools is WrightSearch, where students and alumni can view job postings, post their... Read more »

Addiction: Signs, Symptoms, and Steps to Recovery

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
February 1, 2013
Filed under News

Addiction is a major issue on college campuses today. A person is considered “addicted” to a if they feel that they have to use regularly, if they can’t stop using, if they make certain they keep a supply of the substance, if they spend money on drugs or substances they cannot afford, or if... Read more »

Are you employable?

Are you employable?

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
January 30, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Some of the most popular college majors are in lesser demand — less demand means greater unemployment. However, some majors that are less-than-mainstream have unemployment rates as low as 0%, according to Georgetown University’s 2012 report from the Center on Education and the Workforce. The job... Read more »

Housing options in the local area

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
January 24, 2013
Filed under News

The time has come to decide where to live next year. The good news? There are plenty of options! On-campus housing has a few different options: residence hall-style in The Woods, Hamilton Hall, and Honors; apartment-style in College Park, University Park, Forest Lane, and The Village. “When you live... Read more »

The “Good Ol’ Boys” of Steubenville, OH

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
January 17, 2013
Filed under Crime, News

It’s hardly news that football can bring communities together. You might be surprised to find out that football can bring a community so close together that they would band together to cover up a felony. Ma’Lik Richmond and Trent Mays, members of Steubenville HS’s football team, are currently facing... Read more »

Students react to their first semester and shortened winter break

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
January 12, 2013
Filed under News

This year’s conversion to semesters has been an adjustment for Wright State’s continuing students. Changes in degree requirements, class cancellations, and a shortened winter break have made for an interesting first semester. Students seem to have mixed feelings about the transition—some think... Read more »

First-year scholarship program expanded by $3 million

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
December 6, 2012
Filed under News

... Read more »

New classroom building to be contructed between Hamilton and University Halls

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
December 5, 2012
Filed under News

With this year’s change to semesters, Wright State has decided to construct a new building on campus. The time demands of the semester schedule have prevented WSU from offering as many class options for students as they did on the quarter schedule. WSU hopes to address this problem by putting up a... Read more »

Dining services receives suggestions from students

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
December 2, 2012
Filed under News

... Read more »

Campus janitorial staff sees some pretty strange things

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
November 30, 2012
Filed under News

Wright State University’s Custodial Services staff has seen some pretty weird things. Gina Reese, Custodial Services manager, tells us some of the weirdest things. “Once, we got a radio call for ‘a cleanup of a centipede,’” Reese said. “The custodian went to the lecture hall and... Read more »

Toilet paper quality gets criticism from students

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
November 29, 2012
Filed under News

Wright State University’s campus bathrooms are typical of most public bathrooms. You have the same general setup: toilets, sinks, paper towels or hand-dryers and toilet paper. As in most public bathrooms, the toilet paper is one-ply and comes in enormous economy rolls. Cheap? Yes. But what do students... Read more »

Concealed carry classes available this month

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
November 9, 2012
Filed under News

The Western Ohio Personal Safety/Firearm Training Group will offer a training course at the Clark County Sheriff’s Office in Springfield on Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 17 and 18. The course is designed to fulfill the training requirement for getting an Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun. On... Read more »

WSU grad develops new behavioral healthcare strategy

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
October 27, 2012
Filed under News

Generational scholar and former Wright State University student Chuck Underwood has developed a new approach to behavioral healthcare. Underwood is one of the few people that helped create the field of generational study. He has been teaching people to use generational strategies in customer service,... Read more »

Anti-hazing week at WSU

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
October 17, 2012
Filed under News

This week on campus, Wright State’s Greek life is hosting Anti-Hazing Week. Monday through Wednesday they have planned events raising awareness and promoting the fact that Wright State’s Greek life never hazes. On Tuesday, October 16, from 11:30 to 12:30 on the quad, there was an Awareness Walk... Read more »

SOCHE makes $3.28 billion impact on greater Dayton area

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
October 10, 2012
Filed under News

SOCHE, the Southwestern Ohio Council for High Education, has recently released its Economic Impact report for the 2011 fiscal year. SOCHE reports that the 19 member institutions studied—including Wright State—made an impact of $3.28 billion on the economy in the greater Dayton area, including their... Read more »

Ohio decides against privatization of more prisons

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
October 10, 2012
Filed under News

The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction (ODRC), directed by Gary Mohr, has released a statement saying that it would not seek to privatize any more prisons owned by the state. Ohio became the first state to sell a state-owned penitentiary to a private prison company earlier this year. After... Read more »

“No Easy Day” for an ex-Navy SEAL

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
October 4, 2012
Filed under News

America is buzzing about “No Easy Day”, a book written by ex-Navy SEAL Matt Bissonnette under the pseudonym Mark Owens. Bissonnette was a member of Navy SEAL Team 6—part of the team that performed the Geronimo operation, during which Osama bin Laden was killed. The book is about his experience... Read more »

Bomb threats at UT-Austin, North Dakota State

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
September 26, 2012
Filed under News

On Friday, Sept. 14, the University of Texas at Austin and North Dakota State ordered campus evacuations following bomb threats called in to the universities. According to USA TODAY, at 8:35 a.m. (CDT), UT-Austin received a call from a man claiming to be a member of al-Qaeda, saying he had placed several... Read more »

Save on textbooks with Skyo

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
September 20, 2012
Filed under News

As students are well aware, textbooks are the third-highest expense in college; they rank right under tuition and room and board. Often a single book can cost more than a month of groceries. Fortunately for your bank account, there are a lot of ways to save money on books. Buying used books is a popular... Read more »

Save on textbooks with Skyo

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
September 17, 2012
Filed under News

Capabilities, Inc. opens new Dayton location

Hannah Hendrix, Contributing Writer
September 17, 2012
Filed under News

Capabilities, Inc. held an open house for the public on Thursday, Sept. 6 to celebrate their move to a new location in Dayton. The open house was held at their facility on Woodman Drive, located just off of US-35. Capabilities, Inc. offers employment and services such as job coaching, job development,... Read more »