Poets and their Muses: students and faculty communicate through prose

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
April 15, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

Wright State poets will come together for a reading and question and answer session on Tuesday, April 15 from 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. in E163 Student Union. The event, Poets and their Muses, will consist of readings from two WSU faculty and five graduate and undergraduate students that have been published... Read more »

Active Minds host suicide prevention event

Adam Ramsey , Staff Writer
April 7, 2014
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

1,100 backpacks lined the aisleways of the Student Union Atrium and covered the floor of the Pathfinder Lounge today, representative of the number of college students that die by suicide each year. The Send Silence Packing event, hosted by the Wright State University chapter of Active Minds, will... Read more »

‘Suspicious person’ attempts to grab two women on campus

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
April 3, 2014
Filed under Crime

A "suspicious person" attempted to grab two women yesterday and was spotted in the Dunbar Library as well as Millett Hall, according to Wright State police. ... Read more »

Tim Hortons hosts its grand opening

Tim Hortons hosts its grand opening

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
March 24, 2014
Filed under News, Top Stories

Wright State University’s Hospitality Services hosted a Grand Opening Celebration for Tim Hortons today in the Student Union from 11 a.m-2 p.m. The Grand Opening Celebration included free timbit samples, the option to name the WSU specialty donut, a wheel students can spin for free to get prizes... Read more »

5 things you didn’t know about March 17th

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
March 17, 2014
Filed under Wright Life

St. Patrick’s day is upon us and the typical Paddy’s day tropes are out and about with green beer, leprechaun costumes and shamrock decorations. We know that it was inspired by St. Patrick, but what... Read more »

Student plans for the Horizon League championship

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
March 11, 2014
Filed under Sports

From dawning green body paint to finding all the "rowdy gear" they can muster, Wright State students are preparing to support the men's basketball team in their fate-deciding showdown against Milwaukee tonight at 7 p.m. Some students prefer an... Read more »

Compelling Comics: ‘Saga’ a winner

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
March 10, 2014
Filed under Blog

Recently, the first volume of the critically acclaimed comic, "Saga," has made it’s way into my library and my list of favorites due to its strangeness and compelling storyline. "Saga" is about two lovers, Marko and Alana, that were born on... Read more »

WSU alumni create marketing firm

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
February 21, 2014
Filed under Wright Life

Wright State University alumni Richard Kaiser and Philip Roestamadji recently co-founded their own marketing firm, Lion and Panda, which seeks to merge the models of big marketing agencies and freelancers to better suit businesses and change the face of marketing in the Midwest. Kaiser and Roestamadji... Read more »

Fighting fire in Alaska: Wright State grad and former wildland firefighter Daniel Hatfield

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
February 19, 2014
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

Wright State alum Daniel Hatfield graduated in 2013 with a degree in criminal justice, but before that he worked in Alaska as a wildland firefighter, delving into the wilderness to control wildfires and keep them from engulfing cabins and spreading into residential areas. Hatfield, originally from... Read more »

Another winter storm approaches

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
February 17, 2014
Filed under News

A winter storm is expected to move in later this afternoon, bringing with it freezing rain and snow for the area. According to the National Weather Service, scattered snow flurries and freezing rain will hit before 3 p.m. and will continue on into the night, with a 100 percent chance of rain and snow... Read more »

Valentine’s Day ideas for singles

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
February 13, 2014
Filed under Wright Life

By now, I’m sure all the single people on campus have already started to see couples everywhere. Fingers are interlinked, kisses are stolen out of the corner of your eye and gifts given to ecstatic boyfriends or girlfriends. This leaves singles annoyed and the lonely in desperation. How can they celebrate... Read more »

Romance rocky? Cheer yourself up with stories of bad dates

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
February 12, 2014
Filed under Wright Life

Romance is in the air, and to some, it’s not a pleasant smell. We’ve heard about the cute crap all week and we’re tired of it. Romantic dinners, surprise gifts and other vomit-inducing tales are going to cloud social media for the next few days. But what about... Read more »

Why the new ‘Bioshock’ is both beautifully epic and soul-crushing

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
February 11, 2014
Filed under Blog

"Bioshock Infinite," the third installment in the "Bioshock "series, brings first-person shooters to a whole new level. Literally. Unlike its predecessors, which had players crawl through the sunken city of Rapture, "Bioshock Infinite" takes its players... Read more »

The Dish: Ice Bubble

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
February 5, 2014
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Wright Life

Place: Ice Bubble Dish: Thai Tea Bubble Tea and Coffee Bubble Tea Price- $3.50 for a medium size drink. Ice Bubble, located at 3800 Colonel Glenn Highway, offers drinks like bubble tea, slushies, and flavored teas along with a self-service frozen yogurt bar. Their drinks come in a variety... Read more »

Alumna Sara Pyszka publishes first novel

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
February 4, 2014
Filed under Wright Life

Wright State University Alumna Sara Pyszka recently published "Dancing Daisies," a coming of age novel about a teenage girl with cerebral palsy who finds new friends at a summer camp. "Dancing Daisies" centers around 17-year-old Brynn Evason, who, after experiencing a fallout with her best... Read more »

Physicist involved with Higgs Boson discovery to speak at WSU

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
February 4, 2014
Filed under News

James Brau, a physicist that took part in the discovery of the Higgs Boson and professor at University of Oregon, is speaking publicly on Friday, Feb. 7 in 109 Oelman Hall from 4:30-5:30 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. The Higgs Boson is an "elementary particle" in the world of physics... Read more »

Late registration fee delayed

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
January 13, 2014
Filed under News

Wright State University delayed the late registration fee due to the inclement weather and a system malfunction that occurred last week. Marian Brainerd, the university registrar, stated that the original 100 dollar late registration... Read more »

Frigid temps cause WSU to cancel functions

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
January 6, 2014
Filed under News

Winter made a comeback Sunday, Jan. 5, with the current temperature at -6 degrees and the wind chill pulling it down to -31 degrees Fahrenheit. Wright State closed its doors on Monday due to the cold  and has already announced closure for Tuesday as well. According to the National Weather Service,... Read more »

New Mediterranean restaurant opens on Colonel Glenn Highway

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
January 1, 2014
Filed under Wright Life

Yaffa Grill opened on Colonel Glenn Highway three weeks ago, serving up Mediterranean food from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week. The restaurant offers kebabs, shawerma, falafel and a variety of other Mediterranean dishes. However, the restaurant's origins are in Palestine, which gives the food... Read more »

Office of Student Activities to require event planning certification for student organizations

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
December 23, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

The Office of Student Activities will require all student organizations to have at least one member certified in event planning starting in the spring of 2014. Students that undergo the certification process to become a Certified Event Planner (CEP) are only required to become certified once at present,... Read more »

5 Ways the “The Hunger Games” is really about holiday shopping

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
December 17, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

‘Tis the holiday season and all through the stores, there’s fighting in aisles and war galore. It was only a matter of time until we compared the two. They’re both bloody and intense, but we still shop ‘til we drop for a few toys and some tube socks. How do they relate? Let me count the ways. 1.... Read more »

Taco Loco serves authentic Mexican cuisine

Adam Ramsey, Feature's Writer
December 16, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Dish: Carnitas and Chorizo Tacos Place: Taco Loco Price: $1.80 per taco. This week, with all the soaking wet snow, I took a much needed south of the border vacation for lunch. Taco Loco on Burkhardt road serves up some delicious and authentic Mexican dishes that won’t rest heavy on your wallet.... Read more »

Campus toy drive seeks donations

Campus toy drive seeks donations

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
December 9, 2013
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

Students can spread holiday cheer by donating to a toy drive that is currently accepting new, unwrapped toys and essential items for donation at barrels placed at different points around campus until Dec. 12. Donated toys will go to underprivileged... Read more »

Seven ways ‘The Walking Dead’ can help you devour finals

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
November 20, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

You might not think a television show about a zombie apocalypse could help you prepare for finals. You’d be wrong. If you’re nervous or you don’t know how to approach the end of the semester, keep calm and clutch your collector’s edition box sets of the first three seasons of 'The Walking... Read more »

Raiderthon raises over $50,000 for Dayton Children’s Hospital

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
November 18, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Wright State Student Government's first Raiderthon, a 15-hour dance marathon that took place in the Apollo Room Saturday and Sunday, raised over $50,000 for Dayton Children's Hospital. The event took place from Nov. 16 at 10 p.m. to Nov. 17 at 1 a.m. According to Student Government's Kyle Powell,... Read more »

Former WSU professor awaits bond hearing

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
November 4, 2013
Filed under Crime

A bond hearing for former Wright State professor James Uphoff is set for Nov. 4 before  Judge Walter H Rice. Uphoff was sent to Butler County Jail this weekend due to the discovery of additional child pornography after being released on bond, according to federal... Read more »

Raiders host Howloween Hoopla

Raiders host Howloween Hoopla

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
November 1, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Costumed children got the chance to shoot baskets with the Raiders at Howloween Hoopla, a free family event offering candy, games and other Halloween activities on Monday at the Nutter Center. Howloween Hoopla held a stretch of tables set up by different organizations, like the sorority Theta Phi... Read more »

Student dies of medical complications related to disability

Hannah Hendrix and Adam Ramsey
October 28, 2013
Filed under News

Wright State student Brant Isaly-Johns died in his College Park apartment early Sunday morning from medical complications related to a disability. The liberal studies major died from complications of spinal muscular atrophy type II, according to a Busch Funeral and Crematory Services obituary. Director... Read more »

College of Business to host Business-Palooza

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
October 23, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

On Oct. 22, Raj Soin College of Business will be hosting Business-Palooza, a fair intended to promote majors and minors in business to undergraduate students who are undecided or have majors in other fields. Business-Palooza will provide information tables for each of the ten undergraduate majors... Read more »

Tower of Terror provides spooks for students

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
October 21, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Students climbed for their lives during the Tower of Terror, a haunted trail and climbing wall put together by students in the Outdoor Resource Center. The event was held Friday, Oct. 11 from 7 to 11 p.m. at the Wright State University Challenge Course. Students had two options for admission:... Read more »

Wright Brothers Day seeks to bring innovation to campus

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
October 11, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Homecoming Week took off with Wright Brothers Day, which was held in the Student Union Atrium on Monday, Oct. 7 from 11 a.m.-2 a.m. Wright Brothers Day consisted of a variety of businesses and organizations brought in to interact with the student body, including Calamityville, Living Laboratory, and... Read more »

The Rainbow Alliance hosts Coming Out Week

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
October 10, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

“It gives a sense of community, a sense of togetherness to know that they aren’t alone in this,” said Wright State student Meghan Murphy, describing the purpose of Coming Out Week. Coming Out Week will include a celebrated lineup of events that are intended to foster community within the LGBTQA... Read more »

Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) altar making

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
October 5, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

... Read more »

Homecoming Week events in planning

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
October 4, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Wright State students can prepare to get “rowdy” during Homecoming Week, Oct. 7 through 12. There will be a variety of different events aiming to appeal to every raider. Homecoming Week will kick off with Wright Brothers Day on Monday, Oct. 7 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event is sponsored by the... Read more »

Oregon District hosts 12th annual Barstool Open

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
September 25, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Dayton area miniature golf fans will soon have the opportunity to compete for children and adults with disabilities. United Rehabilitation Services (URS) will host the 12th annual Oregon District Barstool Open, a nine-hole miniature golf course set up in... Read more »

Student loan repayment approach a slim possibility at Wright State

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
September 24, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

There is a new method of tackling student debt called relationship lending, a system that puts together a network of alumni that refinances graduate student loans at lower interest rates than typical financial aid. The two main organizations fronting the charge in this issue, SoFi and CommonBond,... Read more »

Medics called at Student Union

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
September 23, 2013
Filed under News

Two police cars and a Fairborn ambulance were parked outside the Student Union Monday around 11 a.m. "It was a standard medical call," WSU Police Sergent Patrick Ammon said. “[The] subject was assessed by medics and released.”

Area festivals celebrate fall season

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
September 20, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Cyclops Fest, the Rubber Duck Regatta and Oktoberfest are just a few of the festivals and fairs cropping up in the Dayton area. Get ready to go out, pick up some unique swag and fill up with fatty fair food. Last weekend was Cyclops Fest, a festival showcasing purely handmade goods from local artists... Read more »

Outdoor Resource Center offers outdoor experience for climbers

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
September 14, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Students can have their climbing “on the rocks” Sept. 16 and 30 with the John Bryan Rock Out, a rock-climbing outing from the Outdoor Resource Center. The event will last from 4-8 p.m. Students interested in attending can register for $12 at the Outdoor Resource Center in the Student Union. The... Read more »

Fairborn emergency vehicles outside Diggs Laboratory

Brandon Semler and Adam Ramsey
September 9, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

A Fairborn ambulance and fire truck parked outside of Diggs Laboratory around 11 a.m. Monday, as Fairborn Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) responded to a call. According to the police report, a 20 year-old female began seizing in Health Sciences. She reported feeling “Very stressed out” to... Read more »

Wright State hosts annual Fall Fest

Wright State hosts annual Fall Fest

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
September 5, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

A Bouncy pit, slides, “Zombie Dogz” and a slew of campus organizations crowded the North Lawn Friday at Wright State’s annual Fall Fest event. The event took place Aug. 24 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Fall Fest was designed to provide a way for students to access information about WSU’s campus... Read more »

WSU to host storm spotting event

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
September 3, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Students and staff interested in weather reporting and spotting storms will seek shelter at the annual Storm Spotters Training event at the Nutter Center on Sept. 5, held by the National Weather Service (NWS). The Storm Spotters Training class held at the Nutter Center is full, though those interested... Read more »

Wright State student films debuted at Big Lens Festival

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
August 29, 2013
Filed under Uncategorized, Wright Life

The Big Lens Festival, a film festival showcasing the prowess of those involved in the Wright State University Motion Pictures program, came to the Neon on Thursday, Aug. 22. Big Lens was part of a larger festival called FilmDayton that continued through the weekend. All the films shown were the work... Read more »

Welcome Week continues for students

Welcome Week continues for students

Adam Ramsey, Features Writer
August 28, 2013
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

The start of the new school year brings with it a week of activities planned for incoming and returning Wright State students. Welcome Week  kicked off Thursday, Aug. 22 with First Year Move In and will continue through Sept. 2. The Office of Student Activities Assistant Director of Campus Programs... Read more »

“Entertainment Tonight” reporter to speak to freshmen

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer
August 20, 2013
Filed under News, Wright Life

Rocsi Diaz, an on-site reporter for Entertainment Tonight, has been chosen as the keynote speaker for Freshman Convocation, which will be held in the Wright State University Nutter Center on Friday, Aug. 23 at 3 p.m. Diaz held a variety of different positions throughout her life. She worked... Read more »

Beavercreek art show seeking Wright State artists

Adam Ramsey, Contributing Writer
July 29, 2013
Filed under Wright Life

Beavercreek’s Art in the Park, an event in which artists showcase their original pieces to the public, is seeking artists from Wright State to participate. The event is free to the public. It will be held in Beavercreek at Dominick Lofino Park on August 3 from noon to 5p.m. However, artists interested... Read more »

New WWSU director takes over

New WWSU director takes over

Adam Ramsey, Contributing Writer
July 24, 2013
Filed under Top Stories, Wright Life

The direction of the Wright State radio station has changed hands again, as junior Shannon McGrath recently took over as the WWSU General Manager for 2013-2014. McGrath said she wants to establish a rapport with surrounding businesses as well as gather student opinions... Read more »

New Classroom Building to be built with no windows in classrooms

Adam Ramsey, Contributing Writer
July 12, 2013
Filed under News

After much discussion and deliberation, it has been decided that there will be no windows in the classrooms of the Classroom Building that will be built next to University Hall. The building will hold four classrooms and a lecture hall that will hold around 225 people. ... Read more »

The Guardian to adopt business software through sponsorship

Adam Ramsey, Contributing Writer
June 29, 2013
Filed under News

The Guardian recently put into use a $15,000 computer software program called Sales Force, which was provided free of charge by The Sales Force Foundation. Sales Force, according Business Manager for The Guardian Jared Holloway, “is for customer relationship management and the big name in sales... Read more »

Wright State grad to shoot original film

Adam Ramsey, Contributing Writer
June 25, 2013
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

Wright State University graduate and film director Kyle Forquer has plans to shoot an original short film in Dayton, but said he needs help. The film, “The Bakery Boys of Fairfield County,” is being produced independently with the crew seeking the funds to make the project a reality. According... Read more »

Nexus Literary Journal to return in Guardian newspaper

Adam Ramsey, Contributing Writer
June 3, 2013
Filed under News

Nexus Literary Journal--a student run publication for creative writing and artwork by writers and artists from Wright State-- is coming back in the Wright State campus newspaper The Guardian, the newspaper said. ... Read more »