Q&A: WSU coach Donlon on NCAA reform

Justin Boggs, Sports Editor
July 22, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports, Uncategorized

Last week, The Guardian sat down with Wright State men’s basketball coach Billy Donlon for his thoughts on his team and college athletics as a whole. Donlon gave his views on issues that could significantly alter collegiate athletics. Former UCLA basketball player Ed O’Bannon is suing Electronic... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Raiders make most of offseason

Justin Boggs, Sports Editor
July 16, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

It may be the middle of July but that is not stopping the Wright State men’s basketball team from preparing for the 2014-15 season. Coach Billy Donlon is limited in what he can do with his squad over the offseason. His staff is allowed by rule to spend a maximum of eight hours a week with the squad;... Read more »

Men’s basketball: WSU schedules OSU for upcoming season

Justin Boggs, Sports Editor
June 30, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Wright State Director of Athletics Bob Grant announced Sunday that the Wright State men’s basketball team scheduled a game in Columbus versus Ohio State University for the upcoming 2014-15 season. A Wright State spokesperson said a date for the contest had not been set as of Sunday evening. The... Read more »

Acetic acid spill causes cancellations

Acetic acid spill causes cancellations

Justin Boggs, Sports Editor
June 23, 2014
Filed under News, Top Stories, Uncategorized

An acetic acid spill caused the cancellation of classes at Wright State and forced one WSU police officer to be treated at Soin Medical Center Monday morning. The spill was reported at 9:50 a.m. by a lab technician in the basement of Oelman Hall according to Stephen Farrell, WSU Director of Environmental... Read more »

Baseball: Season of high hopes shot down

Justin Boggs, Sports Editor
May 29, 2014
Filed under Baseball, Sports, Top Stories

Despite having the Horizon League’s best record in 24 years, it was challenging for Wright State head coach Greg Lovelady to call the year a success. Wright State was a powerful steam train barreling through the regular season. Amassing a 25-4 Horizon League record, it seemed WSU was destined to... Read more »

Baseball: Raiders win HL regular season title

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
May 5, 2014
Filed under Baseball, Sports

First-year head coach Greg Lovelady’s Raiders earned the Horizon League regular season crown Sunday defeating Youngstown State 7-3. Wright State clinched the league title with two weeks to spare in the regular season. The Raiders have a 21-2 conference record Valparaiso has been the only team in... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Howell stopped, charged for underage consumption

Justin Boggs, Staff Writer
April 30, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Top Stories

Wright State men’s basketball point guard Mark Howell is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday morning in Fairborn Municipal Court after a traffic stop last Friday. Howell, a 19-year-old freshman, was caught last Friday by Ohio State Patrol for operating a vehicle after underage consumption, according... Read more »

Year-end Awards: Male Athlete, Female Athlete, Freshman of the Year

Justin Boggs, Andrew Smith, and Justin Kinner
April 30, 2014
Filed under Baseball, Men's Swimming / Diving, Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Soccer

Women’s Athlete of the Year: Kim Demmings (Women’s Basketball) ... Read more »

Baseball: Raiders’ rally falls short

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
April 9, 2014
Filed under Baseball, Sports

Down 8-1 to Cincinnati, Wright State rallied with six unanswered runs but fell short to the Bearcats 8-7 Tuesday in Oxford, Ohio. The Raiders will face Miami Wednesday in the consolation game of the Joe Nuxhall Classic. Cincinnati scored six runs in two innings where the Bearcats did not get... Read more »

Wright State announces changes to student employment

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
April 1, 2014
Filed under News, Uncategorized

Wright State Career Services announced Tuesday changes in the amount of hours students could work on campus that will go into effect May 3. Student employees will be capped at 28 hours a week regardless of the time of year or GPA under the changes. This year, students who had a 3.0 grade point average... Read more »

Women’s Basketball: Bradbury making a name for himself

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 26, 2014
Filed under Sports, Top Stories, Uncategorized, Women's Basketball

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Wright State head coach Mike Bradbury has quietly turned a program that struggled to reach 10 wins a season into a Horizon League powerhouse. Bradbury’s journey at WSU began in the 2010-11 when he left Morehead State to take the top job at Wright State. He instantly turned a program... Read more »

Men’s Soccer: Dutch Lions drop Raiders in friendly

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 25, 2014
Filed under Men's Soccer, Sports, Top Stories

Tuesday’s exhibition game at Alumni Field finished the match the way it started, in white-out conditions. The near blizzard erased the final 11 minutes of Tuesday’s game as the Dayton Dutch Lions defeated Wright State 2-1. Dayton scored back-to-back goals within the first 15 minutes of the... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Donlon’s alma mater looking for head coach

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 25, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Wright State head coach Billy Donlon’s alma mater of UNC-Wilmington is looking for a head coach but Donlon said Tuesday he loves where he is at Wright State. “I am the head coach at Wright State, I love being here. Clearly like anybody, I am an alum and I played there, I want to see them be successful.... Read more »

Women’s Basketball Notebook: James among three seniors who play for final time

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 22, 2014
Filed under Sports, Women's Basketball

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Wright State guard Ivory James led Wright State’s scorers with 16 Saturday in her final contest in a Raiders’ uniform in WSU’s 106-60 loss to Kentucky. James capped off a two-year career at Wright State participating in WSU’s first ever NCAA Tournament appearance. James... Read more »

Men’s Tennis: Raiders receive an ‘eye opener’ going into HL play

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 20, 2014
Filed under Men's Tennis, Sports

SUGARCREEK TOWNSHIP, Ohio – The Wright State men’s tennis team received a rude awakening Sunday during its 6-1 loss at crosstown rival Dayton Sunday. Wright State goes into Horizon League play Saturday at Youngstown State with a 6-8 record. Losing to the Flyers the way the Raiders frustrated... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Wright State opens CIT with win at ECU

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 18, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

... Read more »

Sherrod Brown stops at Wright State

Justin Boggs, Staff Writer
March 18, 2014
Filed under News

Senator Sherrod Brown, D-OH, and Anne Filipic, President of Enroll America, met outside of the Student Union at Wright State Tuesday with university leaders discussing the upcoming enrollment deadline for government-subsidized healthcare. The group Enroll America is pushing for uninsured Americans... Read more »

Baseball: Former WSU camper turns into freshman leader

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 12, 2014

Wright State freshman catcher Sean Murphy has been around the program longer than some seniors on the team. Coincidentally, he is playing like a seasoned veteran. Four weeks into the Raiders’ season, he has started in all 15 games for the Raiders and provided a significant boost offensively. He... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Panthers drop Raiders in HL Championship

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 12, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports, Top Stories

A frazzled and dazed Wright State squad was not ready at the opening horn of the Horizon League Men’s Basketball title game Tuesday and UW-Milwaukee made the Raiders pay. An early 12-0 run put Wright State behind the 8-Ball and quieted the near capacity crowd in the Nutter Center as WSU fell 69-63. “Congratulate... Read more »

Darling overcomes injuries, illnesses to lead team to title game

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 11, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

The last 13 months has not been kind to Wright State forward Cole Darling and his family. While his mother has battled cancer, Darling has had to battle ankle and shoulder injuries. With his mom completing cancer treatment and him being as healthy as someone in his condition can be, he has had a bit... Read more »

From the other sideline: Milwaukee exceeds all expectations

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 11, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Few would have given UW-Milwaukee much of a chance at a Horizon League title coming into this season after a 3-13 conference record last year. But after an incredible overtime win over No. 1 seed Green Bay Saturday, the Panthers find themselves a win away from a Horizon League title and a berth in... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Raiders 40 minutes from NCAA berth

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 9, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Wright State head coach Billy Donlon knew his squad could be champions all along despite a 6-6 conference record to start this season. The Raiders have battled back to win their last six and are a game away from going to the NCAA Tournament. Key players rehabbing from offseason surgeries and having... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Raiders return to Horizon League title game

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 8, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

No. 3 seed Wright State will make a reappearance in the Horizon League title game after the Raiders topped No. 2 seed Cleveland State 68-63 Saturday in Green Bay. The Raiders will face Milwaukee - who defeated Green Bay in overtime late Saturday night - at the Nutter Center Tuesday night. “Every... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Wright State ends Oakland’s season in Horizon League quarterfinals

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 7, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Powered by a season-high 20 points from senior guard Miles Dixon, No. 3-seed Wright State never trailed No. 6-seed Oakland in a 73-57 win at Green Bay Friday in the quarterfinals of the Horizon League Championships. The victory earns Wright State an opportunity to make the league title game in back-to-back... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Raiders looking to shut down Bader in quarterfinal game versus Oakland

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 6, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

After an 18-13 regular season, Wright State starts its postseason in the quarterfinals of the Horizon League Championships in Green Bay versus Oakland Friday evening. Oakland earned the opportunity to play in Friday’s quarterfinals after an incredible come-from-behind win Tuesday versus Youngstown... Read more »

Wright State earns first-round bye with second half rally

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
March 1, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

After enduring a tough challenge at last place Illinois-Chicago, Wright State put together a strong second half effort to top UIC 68-61 Saturday to earn the No. 3 seed in this week’s Horizon League Championships. The win clinches a first-round bye for the Raiders and Wright State will know its... Read more »

Women’s Basketball: Phoenix are the class of the Horizon League but Wright State is close

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
February 28, 2014
Filed under Sports, Women's Basketball

Thursday’s battle between Green Bay and Wright State was a titanic matchup between the classic powerhouse of the Horizon League versus the up-and-coming challenger. If Thursday was any indicator, the Raiders might be on their way to becoming the new power of the Horizon League. The all-time series... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Raiders prepare for regular season finale

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
February 27, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

There was a marked level of irony involved with Wright State’s nine-point win over Valparaiso on Tuesday. Beating Valpo meant the Raiders kept their hopes of a first-round bye alive and thus avoiding a possible home game in the Nutter Center next week. Wright State went 13-2 at home this year.... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Plenty on the line for senior night

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
February 24, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Tuesday will potentially be the final time five Wright State seniors will take the floor at the Nutter Center as the Raiders host Valpo for the regular season home finale. Horizon League Tournament seeding implications will be on the line in Tuesday’s contest that will be aired on ESPN3 starting... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Vest sparks Wright State’s second half rally over Detroit

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
February 22, 2014

For a moment in the second half of Friday’s contest versus Detroit, the 5,042 fans gathered in the Nutter Center were guests to the Late Show with Matt Vest. The Raiders’ senior ignited the crowd and his team as the Raiders rallied in the second half to defeat Detroit 65-61. Vest scored a season-high... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Raiders looking for assistance in getting a first-round bye

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
February 19, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Wright State is hoping to get some assistance Thursday before hosting Detroit for a nationally televised tilt Friday on ESPNU. The Raiders remain 1 1/2 games behind Valpo for third in the Horizon League standings. Third place in the conference gets a first-round bye in the Horizon League Championship.... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Pacher lifts Raiders to incredible comeback at Oakland

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
February 16, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

ROCHESTER, Mich. – Wright State coach Billy Donlon gave senior forward AJ Pacher a big handshake and told him he did a job “well done” outside of the Raiders’ locker room Sunday afternoon. Pacher scored with 1.6 seconds remaining for the game-winning basket to give Wright State a 72-71 win... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Raiders facing critical stretch

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
February 13, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

With just four games left in Horizon League play, every game is a must-win for Billy Donlon’s Raiders. Wright State is looking to avoid playing in the first round of the Horizon League Championship. In order for WSU to gain a first round bye, it is going to need wins to catch Milwaukee and... Read more »

Women’s Soccer Notebook: Fillion turns pro, McCurdy next?

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
February 11, 2014
Filed under Top Stories, Women's Soccer

Former Wright State forward Emilie Fillion signed a professional contract in the Netherands for FC Twente in the BeNe League last week and joined the squad over the weekend. Fillion had 18 career goals for the Raiders and is coming off a standout senior campaign scoring eight tallies and setting the... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Lee scores 25 to lead Vikings over Raiders

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
February 8, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Wright State coach Billy Donlon debated calling timeout after Charlie Lee hit three free throws to give Cleveland State a one-point lead. It is a decision Donlon and the Raiders will have eight days to contemplate. In a game that featured 13 second-half lead changes, Donlon’s Raiders lost 72-68... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Darling’s effort helps Raiders break skid

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
February 5, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

After missing a pair of games, Cole Darling came back with a season-high 20 points to help Wright State break a three-game losing skid and top Youngstown State 77-67 Wednesday. The Raiders improve to 14-12 overall, 6-5 in Horizon League play and 11-1 at home. “It was a team win,” Wright State... Read more »

Preparations underway for major snow event

Justin Boggs, Staff Writer
February 4, 2014
Filed under News

A long anticipated winter storm is approaching the Miami Valley this afternoon as the possibility of freezing rain and heavy snow are causing crews to make preparations. While forecasts are wavering on exact totals of snow and ice, temperatures will be in the mid-upper 20s this evening causing any... Read more »

Women’s basketball: thousands of school children expected at tomorrow’s game

Justin Boggs, Staff Writer
February 4, 2014
Filed under Women's Basketball

Assuming a possible snowstorm does not shutdown area schools, the Wright State women’s basketball is set to play in front of thousands of screaming school children Wednesday afternoon in the Nutter Center. According to WSU Athletics Department assistant marking director Brandon Hays, 2,700 children... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Yoho’s rally not enough for Raiders

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
January 31, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

A sluggish start doomed the Raiders Thursday as Wright State dropped its third in four contests with a 68-64 loss at Milwaukee. After going 0-for-6 in the first half, JT Yoho scored 19 of his game-high 20 for Wright State in the second half as his yeoman’s effort late came up just short for WSU.... Read more »

Men’s Basketball Notebook: What Brown did for Green Bay

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
January 17, 2014

Green Bay big man Alec Brown was unstoppable Friday for the Phoenix. His 24 points led Green Bay to a 79-69 win over the Raiders. The Raiders tried various defensive schemes to throw off Brown who shot 8-for-11 from the field. Brown’s performance helped Green Bay to stay unbeaten in league play. ... Read more »

League’s best ‘out-toughs’ Wright State

League’s best ‘out-toughs’ Wright State

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
January 17, 2014

After Wright State’s 79-69 loss to Green Bay on Friday, Raiders forward Cole Darling summed the contest up simply. “We got out-toughed and they got all the hustle plays. Especially on our home court, we can’t allow that to happen,” he said. The loss was the first for the Raiders in the... Read more »

Raiders ready for biggest challenge of the year

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
January 16, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Friday’s contest in the Nutter Center will be unlike the previous nine home contests for Wright State. Though it is the same court the Raiders are 9-0 on, the stage will seem much larger. ESPN is in town and so too is the top team in the Horizon League. Green Bay comes into Friday’s game... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Raiders rally, run out the clock in win over Flames

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
January 12, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Whether it was a defensive stop, making free throws, or getting offensive rebounds, Wright State did what was required late in a 58-53 win over Illinois-Chicago Sunday. WSU remains unbeaten at home and improves to 3-1 in Horizon League play. “Good win for our team considering some of the elements,... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Injury-ravaged Raiders win for the first time on the road

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
January 11, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Ten months after suffering one of its most disappointing losses in program history, Wright State exacted its revenge as Reggie Arceneaux carried the Raiders to a 62-45 win over Valparaiso Friday. The Raiders (10-8, 2-1) snap an 0-8 start on the road. It was the first time WSU has won a true road game... Read more »

Shorthanded Raiders forgetting about the past

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
January 9, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

The last time the Raiders visited Valparaiso, Wright State lost a second-half lead and a bid at the NCAA Tournament in the Horizon League finals on March 12, 2013. That contest is ancient history to coach Billy Donlon and his Raiders who return nine upperclassmen from that contest. The Raiders are... Read more »

Raiders fall on the road

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
January 4, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball

Raiders fall on the road DETROIT – Another road game, another disappointing result. After winning four in a row at home over the holidays, the Raiders continued their road woes with a 58-53 loss at Detroit Saturday. The Raiders fall to 0-8 on the road and 1-1 in league play. Wright State was... Read more »

Men’s Basketball Notebook: Raiders not bothered by fast turnaround

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
January 3, 2014

It has been nearly three weeks since Billy Donlon has led his road-weary squad back on the road. After losing its first seven road contests this season, Wright State is looking to break its misfortunes at Detroit Saturday. The Raiders have lost five of their seven road games this... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Raiders win physical conference opener

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
January 2, 2014
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

It was emotional. It was physical. It is officially conference season. Wright State (9-7) heralded the start of Horizon League play with a 76-64 victory over Oakland (5-11) Thursday in the Nutter Center. Miles Dixon and Chrishawn Hopkins came off the bench for WSU to lead the team with 13 each.... Read more »

Raiders ready for start of conference play

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
December 31, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Despite Oakland’s record, Wright State head coach Billy Donlon is expecting a tough challenge Thursday evening to kick off Horizon League play. The Golden Grizzlies (5-10) are playing their first ever Horizon League contest but the Raiders are quite familiar with the challenges Oakland will pose.... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: WSU’s defense prevents Falcons from completing rally

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
December 29, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

The nonconference slate provided some bumps and bruises for Wright State but the Raiders feel battle tested going into Thursday’s conference opener versus Oakland. WSU nearly squandered a 14-point second half lead but managed to hang onto a 46-43 win over Bowling Green Sunday. The Raiders concluded... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Sledge reinstated by Donlon

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
December 26, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

After serving 19 days in jail, Raiders forward Tavares Sledge has rejoined the squad as he practiced with teammates Thursday for the first time in nearly three months. Sledge was suspended indefinitely on Sept. 30, two days after being arrested by Fairborn Police for a domestic incident involving... Read more »

Women’s Basketball: Raiders, Braves open WSU Invite with victories

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
December 21, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Basketball

After having a couple of quiet performances, Wright State's leading scorer Kim Demmings bounced back in a big way helping the Raiders to a 90-77 win over Gardner-Webb Friday in the Wright State Invitational. Demmings scored 29 points going 11 of 21 from the field. She added in a team-leading five... Read more »

Raiders break losing streak in big way over Panthers

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
December 19, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Wright State forward AJ Pacher was in tears after Sunday’s loss at Miami. On Thursday, he left the Nutter Center with a smile. Despite no one from WSU scoring in double figures, the Raiders put together a great defensive effort in a 70-43 win over Eastern Illinois. “Overall, I think we took... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Raiders lose emotional rivalry contest at Miami

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
December 15, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

OXFORD, Ohio – Wright State forward AJ Pacher had to hold back tears after scoring 15 points in a 59-56 losing effort at Miami Sunday. “It sucks,” Pacher said. The Raiders (5-7) have lost four in a row and remain winless (0-7) on the road this year. WSU had won three in a row over the RedHawks... Read more »

Men’s basketball: Raiders looking to break road woes in Oxford Sunday

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
December 13, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Playing away from the Nutter Center has not been kind for Wright State. Just over a month into the season, the Raiders are still looking for their first road win of the season. They hope to break a six-game losing streak on the road with a victory over a local rival. The Raiders will board a bus... Read more »

Sledge draws support from university leaders after sentencing

Justin Boggs, Staff Writer
December 10, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Following Tavares Sledge’s sentencing on Nov. 19 in Fairborn Municipal Court, community and campus leaders requested Judge Beth Root to reconsider her 19-day sentence of the Raiders men’s basketball forward. Last week, Sledge’s attorney Michael Brush filed a motion to reduce Sledge’s sentence.... Read more »

Women’s basketball notebook: Plenty to gain from dominating loss

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
December 8, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Basketball

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Saturday did not go the way Wright State head coach Mike Bradbury had hoped. The No. 7-ranked Louisville Cardinals handed the Raiders their biggest loss in program history in a 99-40 contest. Despite the loss, Bradbury said the team could use the loss as a learning experience.... Read more »

Men’s basketball: Offense humming, defense scuffling

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 30, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Saturday’s contest was a classic example of what has gone right and what has gone wrong for Wright State early on this season. The Raiders’ offense pieced together a solid outing but the defense left something to be desired as WSU topped Western Carolina 85-77 in the Nutter Center. The Raiders... Read more »

Darling’s performance leads Raiders over Braves

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 27, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Wright State forward Cole Darling said that his head coach, Billy Donlon, ran him and his teammates hard the last two days in practice on the defensive end of the court after a 74-70 loss last Saturday at South Alabama. That effort showed on Wednesday evening. The Raiders gave a much better defensive... Read more »

Raiders receive support away from Ohio

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 21, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

ROSEMONT, Ill. – Though the Wright State men’s basketball recent road swing to a pair of Big East arenas did not result in wins, the Raiders can say they were well supported. The Raiders played at Georgetown and DePaul last week and the games were well attended by WSU alumni. At the WSU game... Read more »

Men’s soccer: Raiders season comes to an end

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 20, 2013
Filed under Men's Soccer, Sports

Head coach Bryan Davis thought last Friday the season was over. It was not until Friday afternoon that the Raiders were given new life. After losing on Nov. 12 to Cleveland State in the quarterfinals of the Horizon League Championships, the players returned home to go on with their academic lives.... Read more »

Sledge receives 20-day jail sentence

Sledge receives 20-day jail sentence

Justin Boggs, Staff Writer
November 19, 2013
Filed under Crime, Sports

Wright State men’s basketball forward Tavares Sledge pled guilty Tuesday morning in Fairborn Municipal Court to Judge Beth Root. Sledge pleaded guilty to four misdemeanor counts after a September incident involving his live-in girlfriend. He pleaded guilty to two counts of disorderly conduct, and... Read more »

Raiders destroy D-III Manchester

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 18, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

There is a Division I team in America that is thankful it did not have to take on Wright State Monday evening. Manchester University replaced a Division I team on the schedule that did not want to play the Raiders in the CBE Classic Monday night. The Spartans were no match for the Raiders as WSU... Read more »

Darling fouls out in full return

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 17, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

ROSEMONT, Ill. – After missing the last 10 games of last season due to a shoulder injury in addition to this year’s season opener due to an ankle injury, WSU forward Cole Darling was ready to play a full contest. After only playing for a minute in Wednesday’s 88-70 loss at Georgetown, Darling... Read more »

Offseason interrupted, Raider soccer revived from the dead

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 15, 2013
Filed under Men's Soccer, Sports

Wright State men’s soccer coach Bryan Davis reviewed the season with The Guardian this morning under the impression the Raiders’ season had come to a close. Less than four hours later, his team got a call saying the season is not over. After falling in Tuesday’s quarterfinal of the Horizon League... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: 3-point extravaganza leads Hoyas over Raiders

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 13, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

A healthy Wright State squad went to the nation’s capital with upset on its mind. But a first half 3-point explosion by Georgetown made easy work of the Raiders as WSU fell to the Hoyas 88-70 Wednesday evening. Georgetown had a 50-31 halftime lead. Wright State tried to rally in the second half... Read more »

Raiders easily dispatch the Lions on opening night

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 10, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

It might have been against a Division III opponent but Wright State will take an 82-49 win over Mount St. Joseph Sunday and a 1-0 record into its contest against Georgetown Wednesday evening. The Raiders’ effort Sunday was a far cry from their 80-76 exhibition loss to Findlay on Nov. 1, a Division... Read more »

Women’s soccer: Seniors in familiar territory

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 6, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Soccer

"To be the best, you have to beat the best." That is the message Wright State’s women’s soccer squad has going into this weekend’s Horizon League Championship hosted by UW-Milwaukee. The Raiders enter the tournament as a No. 2 seed after WSU won its match last Friday over Cleveland State... Read more »

Commentary: Message sent by Price hiring

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 6, 2013
Filed under Opinions, Sports

When the Cincinnati Reds released manager Dusty Baker as manager, the Reds sent a message: Good is not good enough. No question the Reds have been good the last four years. Three playoff appearances in four years have reinvigorated a fan base that was becoming apathetic. Great American Ballpark is... Read more »

Several local school levies unsuccessful on election day

Justin Boggs, Staff Writer
November 6, 2013
Filed under News

While Tuesday’s election only produced a few results with national implications, there were many races that had a strong impact at the local level, especially in the classroom. In Beavercreek, 36 percent of registered voters cast ballots in an emergency levy request by Beavercreek City Schools.... Read more »

Women’s Soccer: Raiders win, fail to capture HL

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 2, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Soccer

It was a bittersweet night for the Wright State women’s soccer team. The Raiders defeated the Cleveland State Vikings 1-0. Meanwhile in Detroit, UM-Milwaukee topped Oakland 1-0 to clinch its third straight Horizon League title. Had Milwaukee lost or tied versus Oakland, the Raiders would have... Read more »

Raiders ‘out toughed’ by D-II Findlay

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
November 2, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Wright State coach Billy Donlon wanted a challenge to start off the 2013-14 season. Donlon got more than he bargained for as the Raiders fell to Division II foe Findlay 80-76 in a preseason contest. Findlay has pulled off upsets over Division I foes before. In 2007, the Oilers topped the defending... Read more »

Men’s soccer: Raiders drop home finale

Men’s soccer: Raiders drop home finale

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
October 31, 2013
Filed under Men's Soccer, Sports

Cleveland State staved of a flurry of Wright State chances late in the second half and added a breakaway goal in the 90th minute to defeat WSU 2-0 Wednesday evening at Alumni Field. With the loss, the Raiders have failed to keep their hopes alive for home-field advantage in the quarterfinals of the... Read more »

Men’s soccer: Rockwell-Ashton’s goal breaks losing streak

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
October 30, 2013
Filed under Men's Soccer, Sports

After coming inches from losing Saturday evening’s contest in regulation, Wright State’s Bryce Rockwell-Ashton headed in the golden goal in double overtime to give WSU a 2-1 victory over the Green Bay Phoenix. The win broke a four-game losing streak for the Raiders and they are 2-3 in Horizon... Read more »

Sports Shorts:Thompson gives Raiders a shot at HL title

Andrew Smith and Justin Boggs
October 30, 2013
Filed under Sports, Sports Shorts

Kalee Thompson’s 12th-minute goal lifted the Wright State women’s soccer to a 1-0 victory over Green Bay Saturday afternoon. The Raiders outshot the Phoenix 10-9. WSU goalkeeper Brooke McCurdy made three saves on Saturday’s contest. WSU returns home Friday evening to face Cleveland State... Read more »

Men’s basketball: Donlon concerned with effects of television coverage

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
October 29, 2013

The Wright State men’s basketball team has added two more games to its television schedule to raise its total of televised contests to 12 for this season, which WSU head coach Billy Donlon said was a concern for his team. The most recently announced games will be available locally on Dayton CW on... Read more »

WSU Police: Fifth theft in last six weeks

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
October 25, 2013
Filed under Crime

Through a campus-wide e-mail, the Wright State Police Department notified students and staff Thursday morning of another auto break-in this time taking place Tuesday evening on campus. The break-in happened between 10:07-10:22 p.m. Tuesday evening and occured in WSU Lot 16. Lot 16 is the lot behind... Read more »

Men’s Soccer: Own goal costs Raiders the I-75 Cup

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
October 23, 2013
Filed under Men's Soccer, Sports

Despite solid goalkeeping from freshman Tyler Blackmer, the Wright State men’s soccer team gave up an own goal in double-overtime to fall to Bowling Green 1-0 Tuesday evening as the Falcons took the I-75 Cup. The Raiders drop to 3-8-1 on the season after losing their fourth contest in a row and... Read more »

Sports shorts: Swimming and diving dominates Ashland

Andrew Smith and Justin Boggs
October 17, 2013
Filed under Sports, Sports Shorts

The No. 22-ranked Wright State men’s swimming squad had a dominating 224-73 win over Ashland Saturday afternoon. The women’s squad also marked a 163-126 win over the Eagles. Raider John Vigar had a controlling win in the 1000-yard freestyle event with a time of 9:56:42 which was 23 seconds... Read more »

Beavercreek approves Pentagon Blvd. busing

Justin Boggs, Staff Writer
October 15, 2013
Filed under News

With millions of dollars of potential federal funds at stake, Beavercreek’s City Council approved the addition of three new bus stops near Fairfield Commons Mall Monday evening. After years of wrangling and lawsuits, the motion passed by a 5-2 margin. According to U.S. Department of Transportation... Read more »

Sports shorts: Men’s soccer dominated by Milwaukee

Andrew Smith and Justin Boggs
October 10, 2013
Filed under Sports, Sports Shorts

Wright State’s first road Horizon League contest of the year was rough from the get go as the Raiders fell to Wisconsin-Milwaukee 3-0 Saturday evening to drop to 1-1 in conference play. UWM is just one of nine NCAA Division 1 teams still unbeaten this season and its strength showed against WSU.... Read more »

Women’s Soccer: Raiders finish nonconference schedule with win

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
October 10, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Soccer

It would have been easy for the Wright State women’s soccer team to overlook its contest versus the Findlay Oilers Wednesday evening. In the midst of conference play, the Raiders were able to easily dispatch the Division II foe from the Flag City, 4-0, with forward Emilie Fillion leading the way... Read more »

Raiders’ fast start slowed by Vikings

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
October 5, 2013
Filed under Sports, Volleyball

The Wright State volleyball squad got off to a tremendous start in its match versus the defending conference champion Cleveland State Vikings Friday evening, however the Vikings rallied to defeat the Raiders 3-1. WSU won the first set of the match but CSU rallied to win the final three sets. “They... Read more »

NCAA addressing concussion concerns

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
October 2, 2013
Filed under Uncategorized

Now that doctors understand the long-term ramifications and health impacts to sustaining multiple concussions, NCAA institutions are taking steps to prevent athletes from sustaining multiple concussions. Just like the NFL, the NCAA is facing litigation on its treatment of student-athletes who have... Read more »

Men’s Basketball: Sledge arrested, charged with four misdemeanors

Andrew Smith and Justin Boggs
September 30, 2013
Filed under Crime, Men's Basketball, Sports, Top Stories

Wright State men's basketball player Tavares Sledge was arrested Saturday by WSU police and was charged with four misdemeanors, including domestic violence. ... Read more »

Men’s Soccer: Blackmer shuts down Valpo

Men’s Soccer: Blackmer shuts down Valpo

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
September 29, 2013
Filed under Men's Soccer, Sports

Tyler Blackmer recorded his first collegiate victory the Wright State Raiders started Horizon League play 1-0 as WSU defeated Valparaiso 2-0 Saturday evening. “I told the guys, ‘you cannot get too high, cannot get too low,’” WSU coach Bryan Davis said. “We’ve been low and (this) is a good... Read more »

Athletes take action to avoid concussions

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
September 26, 2013
Filed under Sports

Wright State women’s soccer player Liz Soto knows the feeling of sustaining concussions far too often. For her, one more concussion could end her career as a soccer player. Soto is taking advantage of new technology to extend her soccer-playing days. She wears a headband manufactured by Full... Read more »

Sports Shorts: Shafer, Janson lead Raiders at Friendship Invite

Andrew Smith and Justin Boggs
September 25, 2013
Filed under Sports, Sports Shorts

Senior Dan Shafer placed ninth in the 8k race and senior Rachel Janson placed 20th in the 6k race at the Cedarville Friendship Invitational Saturday. As a team, Wright State placed fourth in both the men’s and women’s divisions. Both teams will next compete on Oct. 4 at the All-Ohio... Read more »

Men’s soccer: Fleak’s bomb shot sinks Raiders

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
September 21, 2013
Filed under Men's Soccer, Sports

Northern Kentucky goalkeeper A.J. Fleak score from 100 yards away proved to be the game-winner in a 2-1 decision over Wright State Friday evening at Alumni Field. Fleak’s goal took a high bounce of a waterlogged turf that caused a number of odd bounces throughout the game. The Raiders tried to not... Read more »

In digital age, athletes’ social media usage being monitored

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
September 20, 2013
Filed under Sports

With the explosion of Twitter and Facebook over the last few years, coaches and administrators at NCAA institutions are being challenged to adapt to a new landscape despite the possibility of NCAA violations and giving opponents ‘bulletin board’ material. Recently, Ohio State’s Department of... Read more »

Women’s soccer: Raiders’ rally falls short against Bulldogs

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
September 19, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Soccer

Despite two second-half goals from Wright State forward Ini Umotong, a breakaway goal by Butler’s Elise Kotsakis in the 84th minute led the Bulldogs over the Raiders 4-3 Wednesday evening. WSU is winless in its last four matches and has a tough challenge at No. 25 West Virginia Sunday... Read more »

Women’s soccer: Fillion, Umotong score in tie

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
September 18, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Soccer

Wright State came within eight minutes of defeating the Dayton Flyers for the first time since 1996 however Ashley Campbell’s 83rd minute goal for Dayton forced a 2-2 tie with the Raiders Sunday evening. The Raiders are 0-10-2 against their crosstown rivals since defeating the Flyers... Read more »

Sports Shorts: Raiders football falls in first full contest of the year

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
September 18, 2013
Filed under Sports, Sports Shorts

Wright State’s club football team finally completed a full contest after a rain out and a pair of cancelations as the Raiders fell to the semi-pro Columbus War Eagles 12-0 Sunday afternoon. Wright State coach head coach Anthony VanHorn said he is confident the Raiders’ next contest scheduled for... Read more »

Griffin returns from mission to Ivory Coast

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
September 12, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Wright State men’s basketball guard Kendall Griffin traveled to the Ivory Coast last month to join with other Division I basketball players on a faith-based mission. The Ivory Coast is two years removed from a civil war that left a scar to the nation and killed over 3,000 people. Griffin said the... Read more »

Women’s soccer: McCurdy’s performance salvages draw against Western Michigan

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
September 5, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Soccer

Wright State goalkeeper Brooke McCurdy was busy in the Raiders’ 0-0 stalemate against Western Michigan Thursday evening marking WSU’s home opener. McCurdy notched nine saves in Thursday’s contest and nearly gave the Raiders the game’s lone goal in the final two minutes of regulation.... Read more »

Club football begins nine-game season

Club football begins nine-game season

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
September 4, 2013
Filed under Club Football, Sports, Top Stories

While the NCAA contemplates paying college football players at the biggest football powerhouses, the athletes who make up Wright State’s club football team are paying to play in nine games this season starting Saturday with a game at Wisconsin-Parkside on Saturday. “It is hard to hear all the... Read more »

Late night dining options limited for WSU students

Justin Boggs and Brandon Semler
September 4, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Wright State students have voiced concerns that there are not enough late night dining options, or weekend breakfast options on campus. After 9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, the only dining option is in the C-Store where students can purchase subs and snacks. On Fridays, the C-Store is the latest option closing... Read more »

Women’s soccer: McCurdy ready for senior campaign

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
September 4, 2013
Filed under Sports, Uncategorized, Women's Soccer

For most collegiate women's soccer players, when their senior season comes to an end, so do their soccer-playing careers.Unlike their male counterparts, the opportunities in women’s soccer at the professional level are few and far between. Despite these challenges, Wright State senior goalkeeper... Read more »

Women’s Soccer: Raiders proving to be road warriors

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
August 29, 2013
Filed under Sports, Women's Soccer

The Wright State women’s soccer squad got off to a solid start on its current road trip by picking up a win at Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne and a tie at Ohio University last weekend to start the season 1-0-1. The Raiders continue the road trip as they leave Ohio this morning for a pair of contests... Read more »

WSU president pushes for new NCAA football format

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
August 29, 2013
Filed under Sports

In an interview with The Guardian last week, Wright State President and NCAA Board of Directors member David Hopkins said that a new format for Division I football would be beneficial in supporting student-athletes. ... Read more »

Lovelady pegged as Raiders manager

Lovelady pegged as Raiders manager

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
August 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

Wright State Director of Athletics Bob Grant announced Wednesday afternoon that former associate coach Greg Lovelady has been promoted to the position of head coach for the 2014 season. Lovelady, a former University of Miami catcher, served as previous manager Rob Cooper’s right-hand man for the... Read more »

Season Preview: Men’s soccer looking to bounce back

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
August 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Wright State men’s soccer squad begins its 2013 campaign Friday evening when the Raiders travel to take on the Kentucky Wildcats. The Raiders are coming off a tough season where losing close games became a trend. WSU was 0-4 in overtime contests in 2012. Last year’s leading scorer Brett Elder... Read more »

Student Legal Services announces staffing change

Justin Boggs, News Writer
August 27, 2013
Filed under News

Wright State Student Legal Services announced Tuesday afternoon the promotion of one attorney and the hiring of a second for the 2013-14 academic year. Stephanie Allen, a lawyer at Student Legal Services since 2008, was promoted as managing attorney of the service. She became the interim manager after... Read more »

Former Disability Services director dies at 61

Justin Boggs, Staff Writer
August 20, 2013
Filed under News

The long-time Wright State Director of Disability Services Jeffrey Vernooy died Monday at the Hospice of Dayton. He was 61. Vernooy’s memorial service is set for Friday at 1:30 p.m. at the Kindred Funeral Home in Englewood. Vernooy announced his retirement as director after Memorial Day weekend... Read more »

Women’s soccer: Raiders flush Aces, finish preseason undefeated

Justin Boggs, Sports Writer
August 19, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories, Women's Soccer

The Wright State women’s soccer team capped off its preseason schedule Sunday night with a 2-1 victory over Evansville, giving the Raiders a 3-0 record in exhibition play. The Raiders will begin their regular season on the road Friday against IPFW in Fort Wayne. In the win over the Purple Aces,... Read more »