Mall at Fairfield Commons making way for new restaurants

Taylor McKinley, News Writer

Still in the early stages of planning, the project to tear down one Elder Beerman store (of two) at the Mall at Fairfield Commons and replace it with four restaurants begins to unfold.

Kristie Miller, marketing director for the Mall at Fairfield Commons, provided details about the project’s timeline.

“Elder-Beerman is having their grand re-opening in their new location on August 20th. Hopefully the tear down one of the Elder-Beermans will happen this year and the construction will be completed for the restaurants to open by Holiday 2015.”

Because the project has just begun, specific restaurants have not been determined yet.

“Nothing has been announced yet. We are looking for 4-5 restaurant/entertainment concepts to fill the spaces. Leases are out for signature. So we should be announcing tenants in the next few months,” Miller said.

The Mall at Fairfield Commons has two Elder Beerman stores. The one that will be removed is The Elder Beerman for Her location, which is the location near Fairfield Commons Road and is also the old Parisian anchor store.  The two stores are consolidating into one, and the only department that will no longer be sold at the Fairfield Commons location is the furniture gallery.

Wright State students are excited for the upcoming changes.

Second-year nursing student Candace Wik commented about the project.

“We have enough department stores at the Fairfield mall,” she said. “New restaurants I would enjoy are a Mediterranean grill, a Dewey’s Pizza, and a Tex-Mex restaurant like El Toro or El Rancho Grande.”

Jasmine Higgins is a senior majoring in communications. She also gave her thoughts on the mall’s impending changes.

“I don’t mind that one of the Elder Beermans is closing because I don’t really shop there. They should put a Forever 21 there though. That would be nice so that we don’t have to drive all the way to the Greene.”

When asked what new restaurants she would enjoy, Higgins said she would like a new place where Wright State students could regularly go to hang out.

“Any restaurant that can be a place for WSU students to hang out at would be nice. There is W.O.’s and Tuty’s, but that’s all we really have. I would also like to have a Brio restaurant because I love Italian food.”

For updates on the project, stay connected with the Mall at Fairfield Commons via Facebook or Twitter, or visit the mall to see the project’s progress.