WSU app provides info at the tip of your fingers

Alyssa Scenters, Contributing Writer
July 1, 2014
Filed under News, Top Stories

New Wright State mobile app

Computing and telecommunication services at Wright State is preparing to deploy a mobile application that will link to Android and Apple devices. This app is designed to provide members of the Wright State community with information quickly and easily. It has some of the same features as the Wings portal, except it is more readily accessible.

The Wright State app will allow students to view their grades, schedules and campus email messages quickly and easily. It will provide links to social networks including Facebook and will display campus announcements and notifications. There is also the option to filter news feeds based on department. Additionally, students can make payments to their accounts any time from the app.

“This mobile app will help keep Wright State current with technology,” Marcus Milligan said, information systems manager for CaTS. “Students will have all of this information at the touch of their fingers, and they can access it from anywhere.”

The app is currently undergoing the beta testing phase, where students and faculty take time to explore its features and provide feedback.

“We’re hoping to get a lot of feedback from the beta testing, so we have the best idea for the implementation of improvements for the user community including Wright State’s faculty, staff and students,” Milligan said.

Catherine Anderson, a student worker for CaTS, is pleased with the qualities of the mobile app so far.

“The app is user friendly and easy to figure out,” Anderson said. “If people are like me and they like convenience, then this will definitely be useful and I think it will be successful.”

“This project is about student engagement. We want students to be engaged and involved here at Wright State, and the mobile app will help us reach that goal,” Milligan said.

The first version of the app will be released to the public sometime this month.