Colonel Glenn construction update

Amna Talat

Alyssa Scenters, Contributing Writer
May 16, 2014
Filed under News, Top Stories

Students, faculty and staff may have noticed the maze of orange barrels currently sitting along Colonel Glenn Highway.  Construction to make improvements to the road in front of Wright State’s campus began on May 5 and is expected to last several months.

The road will be completely resurfaced with new asphalt between the intersection with Paramount Place and just west of University Drive.  The installation of new curbs and a sidewalk will be added to Colonel Glenn on the campus side.  The project will also include the addition of three traffic islands to the road’s center median, all of which will be available for landscaping to embellish the front of the university.

“The goal is to improve the image of Colonel Glenn in front of Wright State,” Civil Engineer for the city of Fairborn Lee Harris said.  “We want to spruce it up to make it look a little more like a college campus.”

The construction is already influencing the students taking summer classes as well as those working at Wright State, not to mention countless WPAFB employees.  Traffic delays are expected to occur as the project continues. Many of the turn lanes entering the WSU campus from Colonel Glenn have been blocked off, requiring commuters to take alternate routes.

“I found out that there would be construction going on from our Wright State email, but I have no idea what it’s for,” student worker Jessica Adams said.

“It’s really just kind of an inconvenience for those of us trying to get to class,” Emily Dunham said, a senior at Wright State taking classes full-time this summer.

“We’re expecting some congestion during these next few months, but hopefully we can get most of the construction done before everyone comes back to school in the fall,” Harris said.

The project is currently on schedule and is on track to be completed by November 2014.