Preparations underway for major snow event

Justin Boggs, Staff Writer
February 4, 2014
Filed under News

A long anticipated winter storm is approaching the Miami Valley this afternoon as the possibility of freezing rain and heavy snow are causing crews to make preparations.

While forecasts are wavering on exact totals of snow and ice, temperatures will be in the mid-upper 20s this evening causing any precipitation to freeze and cover roadways.

Wright State Director of Physical Plant Jeff Trick said that his road crews have pretreated roads on campus with a saltwater brine to prevent the initial precipitation from freezing.

The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for the area with the expectation of snowfall rates of 6-10 inches with of one-tenths of an inch of freezing rain.

An increase in freezing rain would cause a decrease in snow accumulations.

Trick said his crews would rather deal with snow than freezing rain.

“Freezing rain is always more difficult to deal with than snow,” Trick said. “We can plow snow and treat with salt to get through that and give people a reasonable driving surface but with ice, you get the freezing rain, it freezes and is slick right away. If you treat it, you can use a lot of salt and ice melt product and it refreezes.”

Wright State road crews will begin removing snow as soon as it begins to accumulate.

The timing of the storm will be complex for Trick as the snow will be at its worse in the overnight hours when Trick and WSU officials are deciding on delays and closures.

“That is the toughest time when you’re trying to figure out if there is a potential delay or a potential closure are in those 2, 3, 4 o’clock in the morning timeframe,” Trick said.

In Beavercreek, officials say that the city has replenished its salt supplies and is ready for a large snowstorm. But if the storm turns into freezing rain, the supplies could become dangerously low.

To add insult to injury, there is a possible winter storm this weekend that could also bring snow and ice to the region.