Physicist involved with Higgs Boson discovery to speak at WSU

Adam Ramsey, Staff Writer

James Brau, a physicist that took part in the discovery of the Higgs Boson and professor at University of Oregon, is speaking publicly on Friday, Feb. 7 in 109 Oelman Hall from 4:30-5:30 p.m.

The event is free and open to the public.

The Higgs Boson is an “elementary particle” in the world of physics and was discovered in 2012, according to CERN, the European Center for Nuclear Research.

Brau said in an email that he structured his talk so it can be understood by all people, not just those that have backgrounds in physics or even science; however, his talk will center around the Higgs Boson and the recent experimental work involving it.

“I plan to explain the motivation for the theoretical work that suggested its existence nearly half a century before it was discovered and explain the experiments and their data that revealed its existence,” said Brau.

This has piqued the interests of science and non-science majors alike.

Leah Shurte, a graduate student in Biology, is intrigued and thinks it would be beneficial for everyone.

“I think it sounds really cool,” said Shurte. “I plan on going to see him. It’s not really my area of science, but it’s science, so it’s cool. I think everyone should go because it’s a great opportunity for people to hear from someone that’s doing really well in their field, whatever the subjects.”

Senior Marketing major David Douglas and junior Criminal Justice major Kyle Curry both expressed interest in the talk.

Brau will also be speaking on Saturday, Feb. 8 at the National Museum of the United States Air Force from 10 – 11 a.m.