Student government proposes plan for students with low GPAs

Brandon Semler, Staff Writer
December 9, 2012
Filed under News

Students that are struggling academically could soon be required to seek faculty advice before being able to register for the next semester.
In late October, Wright State Student Government passed a resolution that would require students with a GPA of 2.25 or lower to meet with their advisors before registering for classes for the following semester.
The official title of the written resolution is “A Resolution to Improve Academic Success and Retention.” According to College of Science and Mathematics Senator Samantha Young, one of the key ways to achieve this is to try to keep students out of academic probation, which removes all scholarships and federal funding.
“Our thought was, let them meet with their advisor before they’re on academic probation and before they’re at risk of losing financial aid,” Young said. “If more students have financial aid to continue to come to Wright State, that increases our retention and hopefully our graduation rate.”

If the resolution is put into effect, students with a 2.25 or lower GPA will have a hold put on their registration that can only be lifted after meeting their advisor.
Though the resolution is still going through the motions of implementation, it was recently presented to the Wright State Board of Trustees, who “really liked it,” according to College of Liberal Arts Senator Sukhmanjit Singh. He also said that the resolution could improve relationships between students and advisors.
“Having a mentor within faculty really helps you to develop as a student,” Singh said. “You need a mentor in each field to help you along with the process.”
An online poll was given on WINGS asking students and faculty whether or not they approved of the resolution. The survey resulted in 71.4 percent in favor of the resolution with a total of 4,928 votes. Though the majority supported the resolution, 20.6 percent were against it.
“College students should be independent enough to keep track of their own grades,” said Adjunct Instructor of English Stevie Kremer, “They should be responsible.”
Though the resolution has been passed by Student Government, it is still unclear whether or not it will be put in place
“It’s not a definite, but the students, faculty and advisors seem to be on board with it,” said Singh, “We’re going to see what the next step is, and see what the best way to implement it is.”