MySpace trying to make a comeback

Kelsey Anne Smith, Contributing Writer
November 16, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

Today’s generation of social networkers is familiar with the opportunities of sites such as Facebook and Twitter, but another former forerunner in the world of virtual socialization is making a comeback.

MySpace, once the leader of social networking, is now working to rise again. This time, the site is focusing more on media, as compared to its former version, which was similar to what the Facebook Timeline is now.

Although MySpace attempted to bring back a music-based focus before, it is now hoping that the stardom of part-time owner Justin Timberlake will bring back some lost fans.

The new version of MySpace is, like most rising technologies, very visual-based.

As stated on the new MySpace’s page, new.myspace.com, “We’re hard at work building the new MySpace, entirely from scratch. But we’re staying true to our roots in one important way—empowering people to express themselves however they want. So whether you’re a musician, photographer, filmmaker, designer or just a dedicated fan, we’d love for you to be a part of our brand new community.”

As stated by the company, there is a large emphasis on music and the arts.  In order to regain popularity, they are trying to shift their focus to a media based networking, instead of making the vision generally about social networking or specifically about music.

“I like that it’s concentrating on media,” student Mark Richardson said. “It could be an opportunity to get known.”

MySpace’s notoriety is perhaps most known by the way in which popular culture portrays the site.  The term “MySpace photo” has gained infamy as a photo that a person takes of him or herself either in the mirror or as an angled self-portrait. MySpace has been seen in movies, on television, and in other forms of media as a stalker site.  In the popular movie “Superbad,” Francis, the strange and enigmatic character who hits Seth with his car, creepily asks, “So, you guys on MySpace?”

The question is: will people go back?  With the opportunities available on sites such as Facebook, Twitter and Google, will students be interested in adding another social network to their repertoire?

“I don’t think I will join,” student Adam Smith said.  “I don’t need another virtual world.”

Students who are interested in seeing what this new site has to offer should visit new.myspace.com.